Moved by the Holy Ghost

This section of the Forum is for Bible studies that are based on the outlines for sound Bible Believing doctrine as highlighted in the Forum Rules section.
Divisive topics will be moderated to avoid contentions and strife 2 Timothy 2:15 , Proverbs 13:10

Moved by the Holy Ghost

Postby Sarge » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:35 pm

The Holy Spirit of God moved the holy men of God to write the Holy Word of God.

In some of the modern versions, the word “moved” was removed and changed to “carried along”:

2 Peter 1:21 (NIV 2011) For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

2 Peter 1:21 (ESV 2001) For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

To “carry along” could mean “to persuade or affect”, “to transport something while moving along”, or “to keep handy at all times”.  But this is kind of synonymous to being “drifted” aimlessly, like a log being transported along by a flood to wherever or to nowhere.

In 2 Peter 1:21, the King James Bible does not even say that God’s holy men were “moved along” by the Holy Ghost.  It says that they were “moved by the Holy Ghost”, implying a purposeful, intentional, influencing and directing to write the Holy Scripture.

Deuteronomy 4:2 (KJV) Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

The “diminishing” of the Biblical statement “moved by the Holy Ghost” into merely “carried along by the Holy Spirit” not only lessens the meaning of inspiration but blurs the “divers manners” (Heb. 1:1) that God revealed His Word and how it was “given by inspiration of God” (2 Tim. 3:16).  When God “moved” His holy men to write the Scriptures, he not only purposefully influenced and directed them to write them, but he actually carried and transported them to another place and time.

Comparing Scripture with Scripture (1 Cor. 2:13), let us see how “holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost”.

READ MORE
For the love of Christ
(2 Cor. 5:14,15)

From the New Testament Baptist Pulpit
Sarge

Re: Moved by the Holy Ghost

Postby PeanutGallery » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:58 pm

Sarge wrote:...

In some of the modern versions, the word “moved” was removed and changed to “carried along”:

2 Peter 1:21 (NIV 2011) For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

2 Peter 1:21 (ESV 2001) For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

That would fit right along with the Wave of the Holy Spirit Movement; just get on the wagon and let the Holy Spirit carry one on the wave.
1Peter 1:18,19 Redeemed with the precious blood of Christ
PeanutGallery

Postby Sarge » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:39 pm

Great point.  It looks like the modern versions did not just merely diminish the doctrine of inspiration in 2 Peter 1:21, but they are at the same time accommodating and popularizing a heretical movement.
For the love of Christ
(2 Cor. 5:14,15)

From the New Testament Baptist Pulpit
Sarge

Postby George » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:49 pm

Aloha Brothers Sammy & Peanut Gallery,

The “New” Perversions continually ADD to, SUBTRACT from, and CHANGE the meaning of the Holy words of God in literally thousands of places and yet the majority of today’s professing Christians are either ignorant of these facts or are unconcerned about them. The prevailing issue throughout history has always been about FINAL AUTHORITY, i.e. ‘WHAT HATH GOD SAID’!

Here’s an interesting contrast that a fellow Bible believer pointed out to me just yesterday:

NASB
Acts 26:28 Agrippa replied to Paul, "In a short time you will persuade me to become a Christian."

KJB
Acts 26:28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.

Do these two statements say the same thing? See how subtil the change is?

George,

Psalms 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.
George Anderson    http://www.thywordistruthkjv.com/

. . . . . yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written . . . . . Romans 3:4
George

Postby PeanutGallery » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:30 pm

George wrote:...
Here’s an interesting contrast that a fellow Bible believer pointed out to me just yesterday:

NASB
Acts 26:28 Agrippa replied to Paul, "In a short time you will persuade me to become a Christian."

KJB
Acts 26:28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.

Do these two statements say the same thing? See how subtil the change is?

ESV changes it again:
Acts 26:28 And Agrippa said to Paul, "In a short time would you persuade me to be a Christian?"
1Peter 1:18,19 Redeemed with the precious blood of Christ
PeanutGallery

Return to Bible Studies