"HOW TO STUDY THE BIBLE"

This section of the Forum is for Bible studies that are based on the outlines for sound Bible Believing doctrine as highlighted in the Forum Rules section.
Divisive topics will be moderated to avoid contentions and strife 2 Timothy 2:15 , Proverbs 13:10

"HOW TO STUDY THE BIBLE"

Postby George » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:58 pm

HOW TO STUDY THE BIBLE
2 Timothy 2:15 - “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”

THE BIBLE:

Inspired by God

2Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

God’s Words - Spoken & Written by Men of God

2Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Numbers 23:12
And he answered and said, Must I not take heed to speak that which the LORD hath put in my mouth?

2Samuel 23:2
The Spirit of the LORD spake by me, and his word was in my tongue.

2Chronicles 18:13
And Micaiah said, As the LORD liveth, even what my God saith, that will I speak.

Deuteronomy 31:9
And Moses wrote this law, and delivered it unto the priests the sons of Levi, which bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and unto all the elders of Israel.

Deuteronomy 31:24 And it came to pass, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this law in a book, until they were finished,
25 That Moses commanded the Levites, which bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD, saying,
26 Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.

Acts 7:37 This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear.
38 This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:

Romans 3:1
What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

God’s Words - Preserved by God

Psalms 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE BIBLE?

To Reveal the Person of God & His will for mankind – in order that we might worship and obey Him.

1Samuel 3:21 And the LORD appeared again in Shiloh: for the LORD revealed himself to Samuel in Shiloh by the word of the LORD.

Romans 15:4
For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

1Corinthians 10:11
Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

2Timothy 3:14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

1John 5:13
These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

THE BIBLE = A CHRISTIAN’S FINAL AUTHORITY

How often have you read in various church statements of faith or by-laws: “The Bible is our sole source and only rule of faith and practice”, or words very similar? If people really and truly believe this statement then:

Why – All the confusion?

Why – All the conflicting doctrines?

Why – All the differences between Christians?

Why – So many different kinds of churches?

What’s the problem?

1Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

THE BIBLE IS PERFECT!

1Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

We are not perfect!

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away

Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Ephesians 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

Colossians 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

Keeping these things in mind – the very first thing a person must know when they study the Bible is – You can know about:

Doctrine
Bible Characters
Bible History
Jewish History
Church History
Etc., etc., etc.

And NOTKNOW” the Bible!!!

1Corinthians 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

1John 2:20
But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

1John 2:26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Ephesians 1:15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

James 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

The First “KEY” To Understanding the Bible is the Person of THE HOLY SPIRIT

In order to receive genuine spiritual knowledge, understanding, discernment, and wisdom it is absolutely necessary to receive teaching and instruction from the Holy Spirit of God.  Without the Holy Spirit’s guiding and teaching, the Bible remains a mystery, or a source and a “tool” to bring men into bondage to a religion, a church, or a man. Without the Holy Spirit’s “unction” and “anointing” the Bible is regarded as just a collection of old books or writings that may be of some interest, but having no real significance in our modern sophisticated world. I cannot emphasize this point enough. Of all the things a person can do to learn the Bible, it is paramount that they receive instruction from God. No school; no college; no church; no man can substitute for the Holy Spirit!

Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

John 14:25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

1 John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.  

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

There are Three “Things” That Hinder Our Understanding

The World
1John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

1Timothy 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

James 3:13 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.
15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.
16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.

1Peter 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

The Flesh
Matthew 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Mark 14:38 Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

John 8:15 Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man.

Romans 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

Romans 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Romans 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

Galatians 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

1John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

The Devil (Satan)
2Corinthians 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

2Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

2Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

2Corinthians 11:12 But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we.
13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

1Timothy 5:14 I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully.
15 For some are already turned aside after Satan.

2Timothy 2:24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Ephesians 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Galatians 2:4 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:

Philippians 3:2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.

2Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

The second “KEY” to understanding the Bible is the person of the APOSTLE PAUL

1. Because Paul was called to be an “Apostle and Teacher to the Gentiles”.

Romans 11:13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:

1 Timothy 2:7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

2 Timothy 1:11 Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.

2. Because Paul was given the “apostleship” to the “uncircumcision” (the Gentiles) while the Apostle Peter was given the “apostleship” to the “circumcision” (the Jews).

Galatians 2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)

3. Because God “revealed” the “mysteriesof God to the Apostle Paul [1Corinthians 4:1].

• The “mystery” of the hidden wisdom of God [1 Corinthians 2:7]
      • The “mystery” that not all Christians are going to suffer death [1 Corinthians 15:51]
      • The “mystery” of His will [Ephesians 1:9]
      • The “mystery” of Christ [Ephesians 3:4; Colossians 4:3]
      • The “mystery” of Christ and the church [Ephesians 5:32]
      • The “mystery” of the (Paul’s) Gospel [Ephesians 6:19; Romans 2:16; 16:25; 2Timothy 2:8]
      • The “mystery” which hath been hid from ages and from generations [Colossians 1:26-27]
      • The “mystery” of God the Father and of Christ [Colossians 2:2]
      • The “mystery” of iniquity [2 Thessalonians 2:7]
      • The “mystery” of the faith [1 Timothy 3:9]
      • The “mystery” of Godliness [1 Timothy 3:16]

4.  Because ALL of the Apostle Paul’s Epistles are written exclusively to Christian churches or to Christians.

[Romans 1:7; 1Corinthians 1:1-2; 2Corinthians 1:1-2; Galatians 1:1-2; Ephesians 1:1-2; Philippians 1:1-2; Colossians 1:1-2; 1Thessalonians 1:1; 2Thessalonians 1:1-2; 1Timothy 1:1-2; 2Timothy 1:1-2; Titus 1:1:1-4; Philemon 1:1-4]

5. Because we are told that the Apostle Paul is “a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on Him”; that he is our (the Christian’s) “ensample”; and we are to be “FOLLOWERS” of him (i.e. his writings) just as the early Gentile Christians were commanded to be.

1 Corinthians 4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.     

1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

1 Thessalonians 1:6 And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost:

2 Thessalonians 3:6
Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.
7 For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;
8 Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you:
9 Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

Philippians 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.

6. Because, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the Apostle Paul gave us the only command in the Scriptures to study, and the “process” by which we are to study – “Rightly Dividing”.  

2Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

SOME EXAMPLES OF “RIGHTLY DIVIDING”

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust {the body} of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life {the spirit}; and man became a living soul {the soul}.

1Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. {The three “substances” that make up man}

1Corinthians 10:32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: {The Scriptural “division” of all mankind}

MORE EXAMPLES OF “RIGHTLY DIVIDING”

#1. Earth before the fall of man:
     No Bible, no rain, no pain, no sickness, no death - Paradise on earth.     

#2. Earth after the fall:
     No Bible, no rain, extreme longevity, the earth cursed, pain, sickness and death ushered in. Paradise lost.

#3. Earth soon after the flood:
     No Bible, rain, diversity of tongues, diminishing longevity.

#4. Abraham to Moses:
     No Bible, God chooses a people for Himself – The Hebrews.

#5. Moses to the Lord Jesus Christ:
     Old Testament, God makes a nation out of His chosen people - Israel.

#6. Death, Burial, and Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ to the present:
     New Testament, God temporarily sets aside the nation of Israel – [His chosen people], and takes out a people from among the Gentiles for His Son – (the church - the Body of Christ).

#7. The future of the world and mankind:
     Israel will be reinstated, Christ will rule and reign with his Bride - Paradise will be restored.

Believers are under an obligation to “search the Scriptures” in order to find the Truth.
John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Acts 17:10 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.
11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Isaiah 28:10 lays out the “method” on HOW we are to go about “rightly dividing the word of truth”.
Isaiah 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

Then the Scriptural “method” for Bible Study is as follows: When we study the Bible we are to look for Scriptural “PRECEPTS” (tenets, principals, doctrines) by searching for verses (i.e. “line upon line”) within the Holy Scriptures that contain those “precepts” - NOT a HEBREW or GREEK “word study” in a LEXICON written by some apostatescholar”! (A Scriptural “precept” is not always limited to just one word.) And since “All Scripture” is “profitable for doctrine” [2 Timothy 3:16], Scriptural “precepts” will be found in verses scattered throughout the Bible, i.e. “here a little, there a little” - always keeping in mind the “context” of those verses.

God did not write His Bible like a modern day “textbook”. He has not set it up with a “Main Title”, “Subtitles”, and “Topical Classifications” for easy learning! Instead, He oftentimes buries a Scriptural “precept” within various verses that may be found in various Books throughout the entire Bible; which requires Bible believers to - “search the Scriptures” and “rightly divide the word of truth” for themselves, instead of having others doing their studying for them and “laying things out” for them in man made “theological formulations” or some “system of biblical interpretation” that are subject to human error, or worse yet – Sectarian or Denominational bias. {As illustrated in Calvinism, Pentecostalism, Baptist Bride, Hyper-Dispensationalism, etc.}

I believe the following outline presents the “Scriptural method” for true Bible study.  

•  CHECK ----------- {“search” the Scriptures for English words dealing with a Scriptural “precept”.}
      •  COLLECT -------- {accumulate Bible verses dealing with a Scriptural “precept” into a verse list.}
      •  COMPARE ------- {analyze and examine each Bible verse dealing with a Scriptural “precept” in context.}
      •  COLLATE -------- {assemble and sort Bible verses dealing with a Scriptural “precept” by groups.}
      •  CATEGORIZE --- {arrange each individual Bible verse under a specific Scriptural category.}
      •  CLASSIFY ------- {“rightly divide the word of truth” in accordance with the rest of Scripture.}

Proverbs 8:8 All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.
9 They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.

The third “KEY” to understanding the Bible are the people of ISRAEL
{HEBREWS: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob (Israel), Moses, Joshua, the Judges, David, Solomon, the Kings, and the Prophets - All Jews, i.e. Hebrews or Israelites.}

Have you noticed anything “peculiar” about the Bible? – The Bible is a Jewish Book!

{The Bible is written entirely by Jews – with the possible exception of Luke}     

Romans 3:1 What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

God’s written revelation to man, His thoughts, His truth, His words were first given to the Jews!

When it comes to "FALSE DOCTRINE" - The following is an Undeniable Fact {A SCRIPTURAL TRUTH}.

Almost ALL False Teaching, Perverted Doctrine, or Heresy Comes from:

COMMANDMENTSGiven to the Jews

EXPROPRIATED by: A church; or A cult; or An individual

Or - Almost ALL False Teaching, Perverted Doctrine, or Heresy Comes from:

PROMISESMade to the Jews

STOLEN by: A church; A cult; or An individual

Or - Almost ALL False Teaching, Perverted Doctrine, or Heresy Comes from:

PROPHECIES – Concerning the Jews  

APPLIED to: A church; A cult; or An individual

The Bible = A Timeless Book!

In the past: It filled the needs of the Jews and the nation of Israel. After Israel’s rejection of Christ the Messiah, it also served the needs of Christians in the early churches and all of the Christian churches throughout history.
Today: It serves our needs today and will continue to do so until the Translation of the body of Christ from this earth..
Future: It will be sufficient for the tribulation saints and will be used in the millennium and throughout all eternity.

We should always remember: All Scripture has 3 applications:

1. Historical {The Historical “Context”}

2. Spiritual {“Spiritual” application that can be applied outside of doctrinal or historical “Context”}

3. Doctrinal {The main “precept”, “tenet”, or “principal” intended by God to be understood by men}

All Scripture must be taken literally – unless it is impossible to do so.     
John 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

The Scriptures are NOT to be "privately interpreted”.
2Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20 Knowing this first that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

All Doctrines derived from Scripture must be drawn from & built upon Scripture only.
Isaiah 28:9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

Isaiah 28:13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

When studying the Bible there is one word to always keep in mind: WHO?

WHO – Said that?
     WHO – Was he speaking to?
     WHO – Should follow and obey?
     WHO – Does this apply to?
     WHO – Is this written to?

There are two (2) words (which are often overlooked) which we must be aware of, and which can help us to understand the Bible: AS & LIKE. God uses these words to illustrate a teaching; or to clarify a doctrine, or a Bible truth that He wants to teach us. For example:

Matthew 6:12 And forgive us our debts, AS we forgive our debtors.

Luke 17:26 And AS it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. 27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all. 28 Likewise also AS it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; 29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all. 30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

Matthew 13:31 “. . . . The kingdom of heaven is LIKE to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field: . . . .”  

Matthew 13:44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is LIKE unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.]

It should be noted that there are two (2) additional words that are also often overlooked in Bible study that are extremely important to all that follows: “IF” & “BUT”. We must be careful when we encounter these words for whole doctrines (usually false) have been concocted over the misuse or the purposeful omission of these words. For example:

Matthew 6:23 But IF thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. IF therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, IF ye have love one to another.

Matthew 11:14 Matthew 11:21 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for IF the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.

Matthew 11:23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for IF the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.

Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: BUT he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Matthew 4:4 BUT he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, BUT by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Matthew 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; BUT a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

The following are the “Scriptural” definitions of the words IF & BUT:

IF: Is a conditional prerequisite or requirement, the outcome of which is (or was) determined by the response of an individual; a church; or a nation.

BUT: Is a particular determinate outcome (almost always unfavorable), in response to an individual’s; a church’s; or a nation’s conduct.

SOME THINGS OR PEOPLE TO BEWARE OF:

A “New” Doctrine

An “Exclusive Revelation

An “Intellectual” Approach

A “Superior” Attitude

A “Pharisaical” Character

A “Jealous” or “Envious” Spirit

A “Mystery” Religion or a “Mystical” Approach

I am always suspicious of any man, or church, or religion that teaches or practices any of the things mentioned above

1Corinthians 11:18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

I wonder about pastors and teachers who won’t openly share Bible knowledge; who claim to be God’s “anointed one” and seek “dominion” over the brethren; and keep God’s people in the dark! (Men who are jealous of their learning and who want people to come to them (and them only) for instruction and “enlightenment” - who seek to “mystify” rather than “simplify”.)

2Thessalonians 3:1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:

1John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

2Timothy 2:1 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

Two items that can be “helpful” in your study of the Bible as “study aids” only:

#1. A Concordance - Especially the new Electronic Concordances (i.e. SwordSearcher)

#2. Webster’s 1828 Dictionary

These “study aids” make Bible study easier. However, they are not substitutes for what has been presented in this study; and should never be used as a “Lexicon” in seeking the definition of Bible words dealing with “spiritual issues”.

Being aware of and using the 3 “KEYS” and observing the ground rules presented here, any honest and sincere child of God can learn anything that God chooses to teach him or her.

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

1Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

1John 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Now this doesn’t mean that studying the Bible is “Easy”! Or that we can know everything there is to know in the Bible. Remember:

You must have an honest heart; a sound mind; a good conscience, and a clean spirit.
Luke 8:15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having  heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

Acts 6:3 Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.

You can stumble at the word of God if you’re not careful.

1Peter 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.

You can twist and wrest the Scripture.
2Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

God’s word can cut 2 ways!
Hebrew 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Remember the importance of embracing and espousing pure -  Uncorrupt Doctrine.
Titus 2:7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

1Timothy 1:5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:
6 From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;
7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.
8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.
12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.
14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.
17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

1Timothy 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.
15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.
16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

Beware of Philosophy, the Traditions of Men and “Science” – Falsely so-called

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

1Timothy 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:

Watch out for the “ISM’s

As Bible believing Christians we should avoid the “ISM’s”:
  • On the secular side: Communism, Fascism, Nazism, Socialism, Patriotism, Humanism, etc.
  • On the religious front – The Cults: Mormonism, Jehovah’s Witnesses-ism, Seventh Day Adventism, etc., etc.
  • The Compromisers & Apostates: Lutheranism, Methodism, Anglicanism, Episcopalianism, Congregationalism, Presbyterianism, Evangelicalism and Fundamentalism, etc., etc;
  • The heresies: Catholicism, Calvinism, Pentecostalism, Ultra (or Hyper)-Dispensationalism, Baptist Brider-ism, etc.
Always Remember - Another Undeniable Truth

God’s People (before the Flood & after the Flood; before the Law & during the Law; and throughout the church age) have always been slow to learn and quick to forget! And while secular unsaved people have a tendency to subtract from the words of the Bible – God’s people and religious phonies are much more apt to add to God’s word.

CLOSING WARNING AND ADMONITION

We should not be ashamed to call ourselves Christians “. . . . And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.” [Acts 11:26] {The Definition of a Christian: To be like or from Christ; to agree with or follow Christ.} In closing this study I can think of nothing more appropriate than the Apostle Paul’s warning and admonition to the elders from Ephesus:

Acts 20:26 Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.
27 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.
28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.
32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

Yours for The Lord Jesus Christ and for His Holy word,

George H. Anderson Jr.

Psalms 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.

Romans 3:4 . . . . yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
George Anderson    http://www.thywordistruthkjv.com/

. . . . . yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written . . . . . Romans 3:4
George

Re: "HOW TO STUDY THE BIBLE"

Postby Steve » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:25 am

Brother George
I Love you in the Lord, I have been heavy these last few days, partly from being ill (nothing serious) and partly from not making enough time for my Bible study, although I have been reading over the various articles I've been submitting to the depository I haven't been doing my own study as I should and have been "stuck" on the next part of my study on the personage of the Holy Ghost, although having read over your above article I can safely say I intend to get back into that study when I can.
The above lesson brother is a wonderful outline filled with the word of God as your basis and I pray that it encourages and edifies those who are new in the Lord and those that are newly beginning to seek out "whether these things were so" Ac 17:11 to study the living breathing Book, to believe it and that through their study they come to know more perfectly the person of the Lord Jesus Christ and his Holy written word and realise the "simplicity that is in Christ" 2 Corinthians 11:3 and those folks that want them in "bondage" (works, the law, prosperity, cults) dont care for their spiritual wellbeing, they are just puppeteer's for the god of this world.

May the Lord Bless and keep you and yours my dear Brother.

Note: I have added this to the depository also

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

In My Saviours Name, The Lord Jesus Christ.
Hebrews 12:12-13 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees; And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.
Steve

Postby Sarge » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:55 am

You got some great keys over there, Bro. George!  Amen!
For the love of Christ
(2 Cor. 5:14,15)

From the New Testament Baptist Pulpit
Sarge

Postby Valerie » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:06 pm

Brother George.

Once again a wonderful post on how to study the bible.  I, for one, have been guilty of misapplying scripture as I have difficulty with the TO WHOM, FOR WHY, and WHAT APPLICATION it has to me as a christian. It is because of the knowledge of brothers like yourself that I find myself growing in knowledge as I am being shown how to read and study my bible in the right way. When we are hungry we are sometimes inclined to gorge ourselves to satisfy that hunger, but in so doing, we lose the wonderful flavours which do come forth if we just take the time to savour them.

In the words of one of your favourite verses to quote........2 Timothy 2:15  Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Keep on keeping on brother.

Your sister in Christ.

Valerie.
Romans 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
Valerie

Postby bondservant » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:55 pm

I love this thread! You're right, the Holy Spirit is the 1st and most important key.

I also ask myself the "Who/what/why/where/when and how" questions, and then look at the historical context and then find the principal that God was teaching them and try to apply it to my life.

Valerie, I love your verse! One that is close to my heart is similar to yours in that it is part of the walking the walk after we have rightly divided the Word and hid it in our hearts....: 1 Thessalonians 4:11 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;

:)

God bless ya'll!!
"Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy righteousness." (Psalms 119:40)
Beth
bondservant

Postby Valerie » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi Bondservant

Lovely to hear from you.  How are you keeping and how is your hubby doing?  It is so nice to have another sister to talk to, even though you can only post occasionally, we seem to be down to just Irinee, Karen, photolady, you and myself, there have been a couple of sisters who have joined, but as yet, have not posted.  Karen is having health problems at the minute and she cannot post as often as before, please remember her in your prayers.

The verse you quoted in your post is a truly personal verse and one we should remember more than we really do.  The verse following the one you quoted  is also a verse we should be endeavouring to live up to and one with a direction in it which we should be striving to attain.

1 Thessalonians 4:12  That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing.

Once again, lovely to talk to you.

Your sister in Christ.

Valerie.
Romans 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
Valerie

Postby bondservant » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:37 pm

Valerie, thank you for your kind wishes. My husband is feeling much better after this last surgery and it is the first time in almost 2 years his arm is not swollen like a balloon and very painful for him. It is a big relief. We still have many other physical obsticles like my herniated discs and severe dry eye which limits my computer time (among other things) but in all these things God grows our faith and dependence on Him. All things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose. Hallelujah! :)

Another excellent verse you quoted! Another fav set of  "walking the walk" verses are these:

1 Thessalonians 5:16-21 Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit. Despise not prophesyings. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

God's Word is truly living!!!
"Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy righteousness." (Psalms 119:40)
Beth
bondservant

Postby escapedthenight » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:02 pm

Now that's what I call a post ! Brew a pot o' java and set down and get ta' readin'..were gonna be here awhile ! Image
" Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." Eph.6:13
escapedthenight

Postby Valerie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:19 pm

Escapedthenight.

I must agree with you.  Brother George is a real true diamond.  I thank God every night for bringing him into my life via this cyberspace.  George is one of the old time true warriors for God and His word.  It is such a pity that there are not a lot more like him in this sad world to-day.  George's posts are always, always, full of scripture that you and I may skim over and not see as relevant, but when George posts a post oh boy what posts!  what blessings!.

In Christ.

Valerie.
Valerie

Concordance Recommendation

Postby Harley » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:53 pm

George wrote:
Two items that can be “helpful” in your study of the Bible as “study aids” only:

#1. A Concordance - Especially the new Electronic Concordances (i.e. SwordSearcher)

#2. Webster’s 1828 Dictionary

These “study aids” make Bible study easier. However, they are not substitutes for what has been presented in this study; and should never be used as a “Lexicon” in seeking the definition of Bible words dealing with “spiritual issues”.

Hello George, everyone,
  I'd like to buy a Concordance. Using software (e.g. SwordSearcher, eSword) is always quicker but I'm would also like to have a book for when using a computer is not practical or possible.

Gail Riplinger is selling (recommending?) Nelson's Compact Series: Compact Bible Concordance (ISBN: 0785252509), which is "A paperback edition of Strongs without Strong's corrupt Greek and Hebrew definitions."

Is this an acceptable Concordance for use?

What about Cruden's? I know little of this Concordance other than Allans sells a very nice leatherbound version.

Thoughts?
Harley
Harley

Next

Return to Bible Studies