Gap Theory

This section of the Forum is for Bible studies that are based on the outlines for sound Bible Believing doctrine as highlighted in the Forum Rules section.
Divisive topics will be moderated to avoid contentions and strife 2 Timothy 2:15 , Proverbs 13:10

Gap Theory

Postby Rick Schworer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:18 pm

So, I can never decide what I believe on this one.  

First, I believed in the gap theory because why would God make anything incomplete?  Then there's the idea that He didn't make it incomplete, He simply started out with some mush and worked from there, i.e. He "laid the foundations of the earth".

Then, there's the one that it says, RE-plenish.  As in, to "plenish" it all over again.  But, I don't think that there's such a word as "plenish" and that replenish simply means "to fill", not necessarily to "re-fill".  

Jeremiah 4?  Nope, that's tribulation.

Point, counter point.  Point, counterpoint.  Point, counterpoint.  I can't make up my mind, honestly.

All I know is that Satan fell BEFORE Gen. 3, and that the "sons of God" were there AT the creation because in Job it says they sang together for joy.  Which, I think the new sons of God (us) will be singing together for joy when the new earth and universe is created.  That will be great!

I'm honestly 50-50 on this, anyone want to shed some light?  Thanks!
Rick Schworer

Re: Gap Theory

Postby Steve » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:16 pm

Personally Brother, every time it comes to this topic my thoughts become scrambled and I find it hard to concentrate and put together a clear picture in my mind using Gods Holy Scriptures. Every time I come across a topic / passage that makes me this way, I chalk it down to the fact that the Lord must not want me to know at this point and time and I move on. I do tend to revisit scripture / topics at a later date and sometimes (not all) the Lord by his Spirit allows me to see clearly what I was not able to beforehand. It is one of those subjects that I know other brethren have spent a lot of time studying, I however am quite content to find out when I reach Glory.

1 Corinthians 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

In My Saviours Name, The Lord Jesus Christ.
Hebrews 12:12-13 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees; And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.
Steve

Postby escapedthenight » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:44 am

Rick Schworer wrote:So, I can never decide what I believe on this one.  

First, I believed in the gap theory because why would God make anything incomplete?  Then there's the idea that He didn't make it incomplete, He simply started out with some mush and worked from there, i.e. He "laid the foundations of the earth".

Then, there's the one that it says, RE-plenish.  As in, to "plenish" it all over again.  But, I don't think that there's such a word as "plenish" and that replenish simply means "to fill", not necessarily to "re-fill".  

Jeremiah 4?  Nope, that's tribulation.

Point, counter point.  Point, counterpoint.  Point, counterpoint.  I can't make up my mind, honestly.

All I know is that Satan fell BEFORE Gen. 3, and that the "sons of God" were there AT the creation because in Job it says they sang together for joy.  Which, I think the new sons of God (us) will be singing together for joy when the new earth and universe is created.  That will be great!

I'm honestly 50-50 on this, anyone want to shed some light?  Thanks!
Well, I just thought of some interesting points about the gap theory that supporters may have realized but I never heard it brought up before. Could darkness also be synonamous with evil more than we realize?
Gen.1:2( 1st verse after the gap)"..darkness was on the face of the deep.." Was light used also to drive evil darkness away?
Job 34  13"...or who hath disposed the whole world?" 22 " There is no darkness, nor shadow of death, where the workers of iniquity may hide themselves." 25 "...and he overturneth them in the night..."
God told satan in the dust thou shalt go, and Jesus said that the unclean spirits wander through dry places, seeking rest..if they are possessing someone they obviously are hiding and out of the light, unexposed.
Just as satan possessed the serpent because it was subtle and could approach unseen and confront Eve.
I believe there is a multitude of supporting scripture that has to be discovered as ones familiarity with the word grows.
" Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." Eph.6:13
escapedthenight

Postby Rick Schworer » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:50 pm

But God says He "dwells in darkness" - so it can't always be bad.
Rick Schworer

Postby Chette » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:43 am

Escaped,

Be careful in trying to spiritualize the term darkness into Evil.  We all understand what you are saying  but it would not be true 100%

darkness can also mean blindness, sinfulness, lack of understanding, lack of knowledge, unspiritual

But consider these verse concerning God who is Holy

2Sa 22:12 And he made darkness pavilions round about him, dark waters, [and] thick clouds of the skies.
1Ki 8:12 ¶ Then spake Solomon, The LORD said that he would dwell in the thick darkness.
Ps 18:11 He made darkness his secret place; his pavilion round about him [were] dark waters [and] thick clouds of the skies.

here Darkness can be spiritualize to be a holy and not evil.  For God dwells in holiness
Psalm 49:3 My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart [shall be] of understanding.

www.chettesblog.wordpress.com
Chette

Postby Amos Tekoa » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:07 am

I would suggest that you believe the creation just as God said it happen, the replenish word is simply that they exsitied "Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth," was all they could do, previous verse indicate that Adam was the first man, you all may want to view Ken Hovid DVD series on creation sceince, although I do not totally agree with him on some subjects, he is a King James believer and has very good info.

I hope you believe in a literal 6 day creation, for Psalms 113:3  From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the LORD'S name is to be praised. I garurantee that the world does not believe this and only Christians do.

1 Timothy 6:20  O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:

if you ignore the truth you difinately will not be the oppostition of science falsely so called, just trust God's word it can and will bear out the truth, as it was onces said "all the truth of the world adds up to one big lie"

sorry for the rambling post, hope you caught my drift
Amos Tekoa

Postby Sarge » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:45 am

I'm using WordWeb as my current computer dictionary, and it gives me only one meaning of "replenish"

"Fill something that had been previously emptied"

Synonyms:

"fill again"
"refill"
For the love of Christ
(2 Cor. 5:14,15)

From the New Testament Baptist Pulpit
Sarge

Postby Chette » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:46 am

Though these verses have a double application for God the Son in context it is wisdom, it does support an earth being created that had no water on it and it was done from before the the depths of Gods abode (singular Heaven as found in Genesis 1:1) and fountains of waters were made.  So the earth of Genesis 1:2 and the six day special work follow after this original creation as seen in Proverbs eight.

Before Genesis 1:2 and the six day work of God: Prov 8:22-24 ¶ The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.   I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.   When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.

After Genesis 1:2: Prov 8:25-29 Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:  While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.   When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:  When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:  When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:

What you will need to answer is why was the earth made before the depths and fountains of waters?  Read scriptures to see what has always been God's plan for the earth.  Which was to establish a throne for his Son.  That plan goes back to the beginning or ever the earth was.  And though something took place in Gen 1:2 (Isa 14:12-14) that temporarily stopped that purpose, God continued his plan through his six day special work which culminated with the creation of man.  A special being through whom he will have a servant class (Israel) for the ultimate exaltation of Christ in Revelation 19-22 for all eternity.

Just some side notes when you read "in Eden" it is a reference to the earth, it is a name God called the earth.  When you read "east of Eden" he is speaking of the Garden he planted east in Eden Gen2:8 (in the earth).  when you read "like Eden" it is in reference to the Garden also.  "In Eden the Garden of God" can be a reference to both the earth in its pre Gen 1:2 and also the Garden of Gen 2:8 but Ezekiel 28:12-14 is a pre Gen 1:2.  Which gives strength to the fact God had called the earth Eden. For we know Lucifer was in both the pre Gen1:2 and the post Gen 2:8 garden according to the scriptures of Ezekiel and Gen 3.

.... Rightly dividing the word of truth 2Tim2:15
Last edited by Chette on Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Psalm 49:3 My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart [shall be] of understanding.

www.chettesblog.wordpress.com
Chette

Postby escapedthenight » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:38 pm

Good work, Chette..
Those are some of the best verses I've seen to support the gap.
Very well studied out and supported.
" Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." Eph.6:13
escapedthenight

Postby Amos Tekoa » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:40 am

Chette wrote:Though these verses have a double application for God the Son in context it is wisdom, it does support an earth being created that had no water on it and it was done from before the the depths of Gods abode (singular Heaven as found in Genesis 1:1) and fountains of waters were made.  So the earth of Genesis 1:2 and the six day creation follow after this original creation as seen in Proverbs eight.

Before Genesis 1:2 and the six day creation: Prov 8:22-24 ¶ The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.   I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.   When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.

After Genesis 1:2: Prov 8:25-29 Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:  While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.   When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:  When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:  When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:

What you will need to answer is why was the earth made before the depths and fountains of waters?  Read scriptures to see what has always been God's plan for the earth.  Which was to establish a throne for his Son.  That plan goes back to the beginning or ever the earth was.  And though something took place in Gen 1:2 (Isa 14:12-14) that temporarily stopped that purpose, God continued his plan through his six day creation which culminated with the creation of man.  A special being through whom he will have a servant class (Israel) for the ultimate exaltation of Christ in Revelation 19-22 for all eternity.

Just some side notes when you read "in Eden" it is a reference to the earth, it is a name God called the earth.  When you read "east of Eden" he is speaking of the Garden he planted east in Eden Gen2:8 (in the earth).  when you read "like Eden" it is in reference to the Garden also.  "In Eden the Garden of God" can be a reference to both the earth in its pre Gen 1:2 and also the Garden of Gen 2:8 but Ezekiel 28:12-14 is a pre Gen 1:2.  Which gives strength to the fact God had called the earth Eden. For we know Lucifer was in both the pre Gen1:2 and the post Gen 2:8 garden according to the scriptures of Ezekiel and Gen 3.

.... Rightly dividing the word of truth 2Tim2:15

seeing you are a King James Believer, I got to agree with you having rightly divided the word of truth, the King James Bible is not a version it is the bible, good job on that.

One thing, is I believe the words of God always has three applications, past, present and future, it is eternal.

I was not really getting what you where getting to with the Proverbs scripture, I just wasn't understanding, so you don't really believe in a literal 6 day creation?

Good points on the garden!
Amos Tekoa

Next

Return to Bible Studies