Testament and Covenant Hebrews 9

This section of the Forum is for Bible studies that are based on the outlines for sound Bible Believing doctrine as highlighted in the Forum Rules section.
Divisive topics will be moderated to avoid contentions and strife 2 Timothy 2:15 , Proverbs 13:10

Testament and Covenant Hebrews 9

Postby Chette » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:45 am

I was wondering if all the Bible students out there could lend a hand and give us some help in Identifying exactly what the First Testament is?  

Is it the covenants? or the Testimony?

And what is the testimony?

Understanding the force of a testament according to verse 16, 17

If we look to Gen 15:12-14 here is the testament God promises Abraham Issac and Jacob and even Joseph repeats it.  it fits the rule of a testament because it is not a covenant between two people this is something god will do for the people and it is of himself and not because the Nation of Israel did something for it.

If the Testimony is the covenants why did they make this contrast in Hebrews 9?

Heb 9:15 ¶ And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
18 Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood.
19 For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people,

Look at and study through the following verses and let us know your conclusion to the matter.

Exo 19:3-8 And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel;  Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself.   Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:  And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.   And Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before their faces all these words which the LORD commanded him.   And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD.

Gen 15:12-14  And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him.   And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years;  And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.

Exo 24:4-8 And Moses wrote all the words of the LORD, and rose up early in the morning, and builded an altar under the hill, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel.   And he sent young men of the children of Israel, which offered burnt offerings, and sacrificed peace offerings of oxen unto the LORD.   And Moses took half of the blood, and put it in basons; and half of the blood he sprinkled on the altar.   And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the LORD hath said will we do, and be obedient.   And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD hath made with you concerning all these words.

Exo 25:21, 22 And thou shalt put the mercy seat above upon the ark; and in the ark thou shalt put the testimony that I shall give thee.   And there I will meet with thee, and I will commune with thee from above the mercy seat, from between the two cherubims which are upon the ark of the testimony, of all things which I will give thee in commandment unto the children of Israel.

Exo 34:27-29 And the LORD said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.   And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.   And it came to pass, when Moses came down from mount Sinai with the two tables of testimony in Moses' hand, when he came down from the mount, that Moses wist not that the skin of his face shone while he talked with him.

Now according to what we see a testament and a covenant are two different things.  Modern Scholars have translated testament in Hebrews as covenants and as wel know it does not justice to what God is trying to communicate.  In Hebrews 9:15 no gentile was every under the first testament later called the old testament.

the purpose here is to help us identify the testament and does that have nay connection with the testimony and how?  Both the words testimony and covenant are being employed by Moses.  while the writer of Hebrews uses both the words Testament and covenant.  

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
Psalm 49:3 My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart [shall be] of understanding.

www.chettesblog.wordpress.com
Chette

Return to Bible Studies