PAUL QUOTES THE OLD TESTAMENT

This section of the Forum is for Bible studies that are based on the outlines for sound Bible Believing doctrine as highlighted in the Forum Rules section.
Divisive topics will be moderated to avoid contentions and strife 2 Timothy 2:15 , Proverbs 13:10

Re: PAUL QUOTES THE OLD TESTAMENT

Postby Mike » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:25 pm

Good Morning Brother George,

Yes this specific study did not copy correctly, I think because of the margins.  Although I don't use MS Word, I use Open Office, but I would think it's the same issue.  I should have clarified a little better, about 6 of your other studies I was able to just copy the text and paste it into Open Office.  

I will say again, thank you for the time you have put into these studies, as well as many others here that have put time into their study.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

2 Thessalonians 1:3 We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is meet, because that your faith groweth exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth;

Lord bless you all,

Mike
Mike

Postby Chette » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:49 am

I have read this through a couple times and will do it again.

I have been underlining the exact OT part of which Paul quotes.  Some of the verse are clearly the same partial quote, others are more of an allusion, and yet others certain words in the quoted verse are changed making for a new rendering or at best a different understanding of the application.

This has been interesting to observe.  But I am having a difficultly is seeing how Paul rightly divided or at least as of yet I have not found the example of how it is done by Paul.  I know in my heart the Lord has given us an example of 2Tim 2:15 somewhere. so we can rightly divide as he commands us to.
Psalm 49:3 My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart [shall be] of understanding.

www.chettesblog.wordpress.com
Chette

Postby Chette » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:51 am

I found this one George, could it be Paul quoted just the term as he did in some of the other usage quotes you showed above?

Paul uses the this term three times but it is found in the Old Testament only once.  I am sure this is where he learned it and got it from.

2Cor 6:7 By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,
Eph 1:13 In whom ye also [trusted], after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
2Tim 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

it is found in

Psalm 119:4 And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth; for I have hoped in thy judgments.
Psalm 49:3 My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart [shall be] of understanding.

www.chettesblog.wordpress.com
Chette

Postby George » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Aloha Brother Chette,

I believe that you are right, and that is why I said "As anyone can see, the Apostle Paul was steeped in the Old Testament Scriptures. God's Holy words permeated his every thought; and he made no room or place for anything (philosophy, tradition, etc.) other than the Lord and the word of God in his life." Paul often quoted the Old Testament freely (i.e. at liberty; without vassalage, slavery, or dependence); but since his Epistles are Scripture [2Peter 3:16], and since he wrote the Epistles under the guidance and inspiration of the Holy Spirit [2Timothy 3:16], his citing of Old Testament Scriptures is not only acceptable to God, but they were done under God's guidance and with His approval.  

The author of a written work has the authority (and the liberty) to quote (or change) his own work in any manner that he sees fit - I do it from time to time with the things that I have personally written; BUT I never do it with the Holy Scriptures (i.e. the written word's of God), because I did not author them, and since I am not the author of the Bible, I do not have the authority (or the liberty) to change God's Holy words as I see fit. The Apostle Paul was writing his Epistles under the inspiration and guidance of the Holy Spirit; and as such, his citing of Old Testament Scripture is inspired; and if, on occasion, they are somewhat different than Paul's New Testament quotes of them I have no problem with that at all. As a matter of fact, Paul's quotes of Old Testament Scriptures often shed new light on the words that were used in the Old Testament; the same goes for the other New Testament writers, and even the Lord Jesus Christ Himself. For example:

The Old Testament declares - Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill. And again in Deuteronomy 5:17 Thou shalt not kill. How many times has someone said to you "See the Bible has contradictions in it. In one place it says 'Thou shalt not kill' and in other places God tells the Israelites to kill people." Well the Lord Jesus Christ clears up what kind of "killing" God meant when He said "Thou shalt not kill" when He quotes the Old Testament Commandments in Matthew 19:18.

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Matthew 19:18
He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

The Lord's quotation of the Old Testament commandment clarifies (for all critics and skeptics) exactly what kind of killing is prohibited - i.e. MURDER.

As far as loving the Lord God and honoring His Holy word, we would do well to follow the example of David  (in the Old Testament) and Paul (in the New Testament). When it comes to these two issues, these are the men that I try to emulate and follow rather than today's (or yesteryear's) Bible commentators. I have never met (or read) a modern day Bible commentator - be he a teacher, a professor, a pastor, or an evangelist, who can measure up to these two Scriptural examples; and I will continue to strive to follow their example, even though I fall short of the exemplars (examples, patterns, etc.) that God has given me in the Scriptures.

Psalms 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.

George Anderson    http://www.thywordistruthkjv.com/

. . . . . yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written . . . . . Romans 3:4
George

Postby Sarge » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:41 am

Another example we can see of the apostles' use of the OT is:

Paul uses Abraham (quoting Genesis 15) to illustrate salvation by grace through faith without works. (Rom. 4)
James uses Abraham (quoting Genesis 22) to illustrate salvation plus works, for faith without works is dead. (Jas.2)

But if we get to the question how Abraham actually got saved, we have to consider both Genesis 15 and Genesis 22.
If someone ask how to be saved today, and there is a need to use an OT passage, then we are to follow his example: use only passages that fit the doctrine revealed for the Body of Christ in this age.
For the love of Christ
(2 Cor. 5:14,15)

From the New Testament Baptist Pulpit
Sarge

Postby Mongol Servant » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:15 am

Hi Bro George,

Yes, I'd like a copy of that document; if, you have it in pdf, it would be better for us, but if not, Word is ok.  I use Apple's iWork which has a translater in it.

Thanks for all the hard work, Brother!
[url=%3Ca]"If God and His Word are not known and received, the devil and his works will gain the ascendancy,  If the power of the Gospel is not felt throughout the length and breadth of the land, anarchy and misrule, degradation and misery, corruption and darkness will reign without mitigation or end."[/url]  Daniel Webster
Mongol Servant

Postby armadillo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:44 am

Praise God! What a study!

I would certainly be interested to receive the email, please sir.

Thank you,
Daniel
armadillo

Previous

Return to Bible Studies