How God Rightly Divides

This section of the Forum is for Bible studies that are based on the outlines for sound Bible Believing doctrine as highlighted in the Forum Rules section.
Divisive topics will be moderated to avoid contentions and strife 2 Timothy 2:15 , Proverbs 13:10

How God Rightly Divides

Postby Chette » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:58 am

I have been searching for an example in scripture of rightly dividing the word of truth as commanded in 2 Timothy 2:15.  Study, reading and comparing scripture I found that part of the example is found in Psalm 119.  I beleive that God would not given us a command to rightly divide without giving us an example or instruction.  Many say that right division is how we are to study and that is true but what is left out is God's guidance on how to rightly divide leaving us at the mercy of other men and not God as to how to rightly divide.

I hope this thread becomes a place where we can list out the examples and instructions of God on how to rightly divide so that we can do so correctly.

God’s Inspired Division of His Word as Found in Psalm 119

Taking God’s division  as I found it here in Psalm 119 and understanding them with comparison to Paul’s teaching we can learn a lot from this division.  God has divided the scriptures by inspiration into some basic groups and terms here in Psalm 119 they are: Testimonies, Statutes, Precepts, Commandments, Law, Ordinances, Judgements, Word, and Ways.  The term thy word in most of its context seems to point to a promise which included salvation and everlasting righteousness.  

This is not an exhaustive study of God's way of right division but just a beginning to help others to find God's way of rightly dividing the word of Truth, a term first found in Psalm 119:43 finding that divine cross reference led me to dig deeper into Ps 119 as to how God divided his own word.  there are things in God's preserved scriptures that will give us help, that guide, that we should follow, that we should keep, that we should speak, that we should long for, that we should know, that we need to take them for our own, that make us sound, that we should love, that God teaches, that we learn, that stablish us, that we need to meditate on,  that we need not to forget, that we need to Glorify God for, that give us understanding, that give us wisdom or make us wise, that we need to turn to in times of trouble, persecution, affliction and tribulation.  Things that save us, things we need to rejoice, delight in and sing about.  Things that keep us from error, things we need to consider, things we need to stand in and much more.  All these things need to be taught to the believer.

I believe God has divided his word into these type of applicable terms and we need to study out what each of these terms mean, are and how they apply to the church, for those things that were written aforetime are for our learning (Romans 15:4).  So that we can truly begin to correctly rightly divide the word of truth to expound it to one another in a manner that honors God and Lord Jesus Christ.

please note that the listings below are not whole verses and you will need to go to them to get the deeper understanding.  this listing is just to show how God divided his word of truth into 9 basic terms.

Testimonies 23 times
vs. 2 keep his testimonies
vs14 rejoice in the way of thy testimonies
vs22 kept thy testimonies
vs24 testimonies are my counsellors
vs31  I have stuck unto thy testimonies
vs36 Incline my heart unto thy testimonies
vs46  I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings
vs59 turned my feet unto thy testimonies
vs79  those that have known thy testimonies
vs88 I keep the testimony of thy mouth
vs95 I will consider thy testimonies
vs99 thy testimonies are my meditation
vs111 Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage
vs119 I love thy testimonies
vs125 give me understanding, that I may know thy testimonies
vs129 Thy testimonies are wonderful
vs138 Thy testimonies that thou hast commanded are righteous
vs144 The righteousness of thy testimonies is everlasting
vs146 I shall keep thy testimonies
vs152 Concerning thy testimonies, I have known of old
vs157 do I not decline from thy testimonies
vs167 My soul hath kept thy testimonies
vs168 I have kept thy precepts and thy testimonies

Statutes 22 times
vs5 keep thy statutes
vs8 keep thy statues
vs 12 teach me thy statues
vs16 delight in thy statutes
vs23 meditate in thy statutes
vs26 teach me thy statutes
vs33 Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes
vs48  I will meditate in thy statutes
vs54 Thy statutes have been my songs
vs64 teach me thy statutes
vs68  teach me thy statutes
vs71 I might learn thy statutes
vs80 Let my heart be sound in thy statutes
vs83 yet do I not forget thy statutes
vs112 I have inclined mine heart to perform thy statutes alway
vs117 I will have respect unto thy statutes continually
vs118 trodden down all them that err from thy statutes
vs124 teach me thy statutes
vs135 teach me thy statutes
vs145 O LORD: I will keep thy statutes
vs155 for they seek not thy statutes
vs171thou hast taught me thy statutes

Precepts 21 times
vs 4 keep thy precepts
vs15 meditate in thy precepts
vs 27 to understand the way of thy precepts
vs40 I have longed after thy precepts
vs45 I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts
vs56 because I kept thy precepts
vs63 I am a companion ... of them that keep thy precepts
vs69 but I will keep thy precepts
vs78 I will meditate in thy precepts
vs87  I forsook not thy precepts
vs93  I will never forget thy precepts
vs94  I have sought thy precepts
vs100  I keep thy precepts
vs104 Through thy precepts I get understanding
vs110 yet I erred not from thy precepts
vs128 Therefore I esteem all thy precepts
vs 134 so will I keep thy precepts
vs141 yet do not I forget thy precepts
vs159  Consider how I love thy precepts
vs168 I have kept thy precepts and thy testimonies
vs173 for I have chosen thy precepts

Commandments 22 times
vs6 respect ...all thy commandments
vs 10 wander not from thy commandment
vs19 hide not thy commandments from me
vs21 the proud err from thy commandments
vs32  I will run the way of thy commandments
vs35 Make me to go in the path of thy commandments
vs47  I will delight myself in thy commandments
vs48  My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments
vs60 delayed not to keep thy commandments
vs66 for I have believed thy commandments
vs73 that I may learn thy commandments
vs86  All thy commandments are faithful
vs96 but thy commandment is exceeding broad
vs98 Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser
vs115 I will keep the commandments of my God
vs127 Therefore I love thy commandments above gold
vs131 for I longed for thy commandments
vs143 yet thy commandments are my delights
vs151 all thy commandments are truth
vs166 I have hoped for thy salvation, and done thy commandments
vs172 for all thy commandments are righteousness
vs176 I do not forget thy commandments

Law 25 times
vs 1 walk in the law
vs18 behold . .  things out of thy law
vs29 grant me thy law graciously
vs34 I shall keep thy law
vs44 So shall I keep thy law continually for ever
vs51 yet have I not declined from thy law
vs53  the wicked that forsake thy law
vs55  and have kept thy law
vs61 I have not forgotten thy law
vs70 I delight in thy law
vs72 The law of thy mouth is better
vs77  for thy law is my delight
vs85 which are not after thy law
vs92 thy law had been my delights
vs97 O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day
vs109 yet do I not forget thy law
vs113 thy law do I love
vs126 they have made void thy law
vs136 they keep not thy law
vs142 thy law is the truth
vs150  they are far from thy law
vs153 for I do not forget thy law
vs163 thy law do I love
vs165 Great peace have they which love thy law
vs174 thy law is my delight

Ordinances 1 time
vs91 They continue this day according to thine ordinances

Judgements 19 times
vs7 learned thy righteous judgements
vs13 declare all thy judgements
vs20 longing unto thy judgements
vs30 thy judgments have I laid before me
vs39 for thy judgments are good
vs43 I have hoped in thy judgments
vs52 I remembered thy judgments of old
vs62 I will rise to give thanks unto thee because of thy righteous judgments
vs75  thy judgments are right
vs102  I have not departed from thy judgments
vs106 I will keep thy righteous judgments
vs108 teach me thy judgments
vs120 I am afraid of thy judgments
vs137  upright are thy judgments
vs149 quicken me according to thy judgment
vs156 quicken me according to thy judgments
vs160 every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever
vs164 I praise thee because of thy righteous judgments
vs175 let thy judgments help me

Word 41 times
vs9 taking heed. . . according to thy word
Vs 11 thy word is to be hidden in the heart
vs16 forget not thy word
vs17 keep thy word
vs25 quicken me according to thy word
vs28 strengthen thou me according unto thy word
vs38 Stablish thy word unto thy servant
vs41  Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, even thy salvation, according to  thy word
vs42 for I trust in thy word
vs49 Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope
vs50  thy word hath quickened me
vs57  I would keep thy words
vs58 be merciful unto me according to thy word
vs65 O LORD, according unto thy word
vs67but now have I kept thy word
vs74 I have hoped in thy word
vs76 according to thy word
vs81  My soul fainteth for thy salvation: but I hope in thy word
vs82  Mine eyes fail for thy word
vs89 thy word is settled in heaven
vs101 that I might keep thy word
vs103  How sweet are thy words unto my taste
vs105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
vs107 quicken me, O LORD, according unto thy word.
Vs114I hope in thy word
vs116 Uphold me according unto thy word
vs123 and for the word of thy righteousnes
vs130 The entrance of thy words giveth light
vs133 Order my steps in thy word
vs139 mine enemies have forgotten thy words
vs140  Thy word is very pure
vs147  I hoped in thy word
vs148 that I might meditate in thy word
vs154 quicken me according to thy word
vs158 because they kept not thy word
vs161 my heart standeth in awe of thy word
vs162 I rejoice at thy word
vs169 give me understanding according to thy word
vs170 deliver me according to thy word
vs172 My tongue shall speak of thy word

Ways 2 times
vs.3 walk in his ways
vs37quicken thou me in thy way

One thing I learned as I went through and charted all these terms I discovered a verse that shows the assurance to a believer.  I like to use Matthew 6:33 as one of my lifestyle verses "seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you."  and in Romans we are taught that Christ's righteousness is imputed unto us when we first believe.  Well in Psalm 119:142 we are told that God righteousness is and everlasting righteousness, so the righteousness imputed to us is everlasting and can never change and what a wonderful truth for it is that righteousness we are commanded to seek.

If you would like the charting of the above terms just PM or email me and I will send it to you in PDF format.  

Please feel free to add to God's way of right division in this thread having it all in one thread will be helpful for all.
Psalm 49:3 My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart [shall be] of understanding.

www.chettesblog.wordpress.com
Chette

Re: How God Rightly Divides

Postby James » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:49 am

wow thank you for this bible study brother chette. I agree with you I have never seen a study on how God divides his word the thought has never even entered into my mind. I agree it is important as a bible believer to delve into this.

your brother in christ
James
Malachi 3:6  For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
James

Postby Chette » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:33 am

thanks James for those encouraging words.

But this just scratches the surface it shows that God has divided but still the study of the division is up to us.  I hope to someday get each term expounded a little so we can see what we are dealing with.

I think Paul possibly has some insight into rightly dividing as he was the one to instruct Timothy as well as us to do so.  Georges study on Paul's quotes of the OT do help a lot to seeing that.

Also take a look at this 2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Here we can see a division of Scripture too. Doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction

Finding God's way and example of right division is not going to be an easy task.  But I believe God will bless us for seeking him and his word for his ways.
Psalm 49:3 My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart [shall be] of understanding.

Chette

Postby Chette » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:04 am

The division of Doctrine, reproof, correction and instruction are clearly stated in 2Tim3:16.  

And it is also quite clear as we look at the overall literature that God preserved his word in.

These are: Narratives or Historical writings, Hebrew Poetry, Proverbs, Prophecy, Gospel and Acts Narratives, Church, Individual and General Epistles,  these can even be divided further into personal revelation and prophecy, We can find that Paul divides between law and grace a division that must be kept in our day.

When we look at the literature types found in the Bible it is amazing to see so called intelligent people who attempt to read it, fail to notice the differences and types of literature and how those types should be interpreted.  Often these intellectuals will blend and twist them as anyone that is unwise and unskilled in the word and end up making nonsense of God's blessed word.

Each one of these literature types needs to be studied in a different manner but no without God's seven tools that he has given us via our English Language or any language.  we must take these tools and use them in our Study, we must ask these questions and apply them to the literature of the Bible so that it is clear what God is teaching.  

These tools once again are Who, What, When, Where, Why, Which and How.  Using these tools we can know what God intended us to know from his word.  How to divide it between Jew, Gentile and the church Of God.

These divisions of God's word were inspired by him, and we must use the tools and the Holy Ghost to Study them, so that we may learn, Grow and teach others the depths and riches of his holy Writ.

Chette

Postby George » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:02 am

Aloha all,

SOME EXAMPLES OF RIGHTLY DIVIDING

“The weightier matters”
The “weightier matters” of the heart are the things that God is concerned with, i.e. not so much the outward appearance of the flesh.

Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Luke 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

“reason”
Our faith is reasonable, and as such we should be able to reason with people “out of the scriptures” concerning the issues of life – not just memorize some formula (i.e. “the Romans Road”, etc.) in witnessing.

Acts 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

Acts 24:24 And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ.
25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

“speak”
When we speak to the lost (and to our Christian brethren) we should always “speak forth the words of truth and soberness” and “speak as the oracles of God” – and not just repeat what our favorite pastor or Bible commentator says, or regurgitate some godless Humanistic new-age mumbo jumbo or psychological claptrap as so many “Christians” are prone to do in this age of apostasy.

Acts 26:22 Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:
23 That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.
24 And as he thus spake for himself, Festus said with a loud voice, Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad.
25 But he said, I am not mad, most noble Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and soberness.

1 Peter 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

“minister”
God gives gifts to His people (not just “pastors”). As Bible believers, we should learn what those gifts are and minister according to “the ability which God giveth”.

1 Peter 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

“Division of all mankind”
Under the New Testament Covenant all of mankind is divided into just three categories – Jews, Gentiles, or members of the church of God (i.e. saints).

1 Corinthians 10:32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:

The following is an example of “rightly dividing the word of truth”:

Amongst some professing Bible believers, there are those who teach that the decrees “ordained” by the apostles and elders in the church at Jerusalem in Acts 15:6-29 (concerning AVOIDING: the eating of “meats offered to idols”, and “blood”, and “things strangled”, and “fornication”) were only applicable to the church at Antioch.

Acts 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

However, the decrees approved of (and authorized) by the apostles, and elders, and the church at Jerusalem, and which were written in letters, were addressed not only to the Gentile believers in the city of Antioch, but also to all of “the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and{the Roman Provinces of}Syria and Cilicia”. [Acts 15:23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia:]. The city of Antioch was located in the Roman Province of Syria; and the Roman Province of Cilicia was located on the northern border of Syria.

After receiving the decrees from the whole church at Jerusalem, Paul and Barnabas (accompanied by Judas and Silas – from the Jerusalem church) delivered the letter to the church at Antioch [Acts 15:30-31]. And “after some days” Paul and Silas (because Paul and Barnabas “departed asunder one from the other”) left Antioch to embark on the Apostle Paul’s Second Missionary journey.

During the first leg of their journey they carried out the instructions given them by the church at Jerusalem [i.e. delivering the letters to the churches in Syria and Cilicia - Acts 15:41]; but Acts Chapter Sixteen Verse Four says that they also delivered the “decrees” to the churches that Paul and Barnabas had established during their First Missionary Journey which were located in the Roman Provinces of Lycaonia, Pisidia, and Pamphylia: Acts 16:4 And as they went through the cities, they delivered them the decrees for to keep, that were ordained of the apostles and elders which were at Jerusalem.

Considering that Acts 16:1-5 follows on the heels of Acts 15:1-41, WHAT other “decrees for to keep” could the Apostle Paul have delivered other than the "decrees" put forth by the apostles, elders, and the church at Jerusalem concerning avoiding the eating of “meats offered to idols”, and “blood”, and “things strangled”, and “fornication”?

The eating of “flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof” was forbidden before the Law [Genesis 9:3-4]; and the Jews were commanded that “No soul of you shall eat blood” [Leviticus 17:10-15], and, again, they were commanded to “be sure that thou eat not the blood: for the blood is the life; and thou mayest not eat the life with the flesh” [Deuteronomy 12:23-24] during the Law. Did Almighty God change His mind about the fact that blood “is the life of all flesh” [Leviticus 17:14] and that “the blood of it {i.e. “all flesh”} is for the life thereof”, when “blood” is STILL “the life of the flesh” [Leviticus 17:11]? Does God change His mind? Would God change His mind concerning a basic Biblical precept such as this? I trow not!

IF the pronouncements (i.e. "decrees") by the apostles and elders in Jerusalem were only applicable to the church at Antioch - so that it was permissible for the rest of the Gentile Christians in the rest of the churches of the Gentiles to EAT “meats offered to idols”, and to EAT “blood”, and to EAT “things strangled”, would it have been all right, or acceptable, for the rest of the Gentile Christians in the rest of the churches of the Gentiles to continue practicing “fornication” - as was the common custom (i.e. practice) of the Gentiles throughout the Roman Empire? Hmmm??? Some Christians will go to great lengths to justify their private interpretations of Scripture in order to keep disobeying the words that are found therein!

Psalms 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.
George Anderson    http://www.thywordistruthkjv.com/

. . . . . yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written . . . . . Romans 3:4
George

Postby Chette » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:02 am

The issue of those decrees of Act15 had me going at it with the brethren on another KJV Bible believers web site.  I went rounds with them, and they never could see it as it was "they delivered them the decrees for to keep, that were ordained of the apostles and elders which were at Jerusalem." Acts 16:4  the churches were said these were for them to keep.  But I guess that doesn't apply much today seeing it impinges on their LIBIRTY to eat, drink and fornicate.

Decree /De·cree / n. [OE. decre, F. décret, fr. L. decretum, neut. decretus, p. p. of decernere to decide; de+cernere to decide. See Certain, and cf. Decreet, Decretal.]
1. An order from one having authority, deciding what is to be done by a subordinate; also, a determination by one having power, deciding what is to be done or to take place; edict, law; authoritative ru decision.

i.e.  And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed Luke 2:1.  In this case the decree is an order of law proclaimed to all for the purpose of taxation.  Luke does not go into it except only to show how it affected Israel by requiring them to go to their own cities to be taxed.

synonyms of the word decree are  Law; regulation; edict; and ordinance.

I will be posting a list of meanings both Biblical and secular on the terms found in Ps119. so far it is a laborious work.  

Great work George

Chette

Postby George » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Aloha all,

Here are a few more examples of rightly dividing. Try to locate the Scriptures in both the Old Testament and the New Testament to support my claims.

Besides the laws governing the whole of God’s creation (i.e. the universe and nature), there are some things, in regards to mankind, that God has set forth and established that are immutable, (i.e. unchangeable) regardless of the age (or dispensation) or Covenant under which they fall.

God is Holy - He changes not. Once the Lord God instituted each of the following Scriptural precepts or principals, He never changed them, nor did they cease to be in effect under a new (or different) covenant. These Biblical precepts and principals continued on down through the ages, and they are still in effect today, and they are still true - regardless of what men may say or teach.

Before The Fall - After The Fall – Before The Flood
       1. Marriage: To be between one man and one woman.

2. Sin: Disobedience to God and His word = death.

After The Flood – Before The Law
      3. Blood: The nature of blood has never changed, i.e. the life of the flesh is in the blood.   The eating of blood or of meat with blood in it is prohibited.

4. Murder: Requires a life for a life, i.e. a payment of blood.

During The Law
      5. Idolatry: The worship of anyone or anything other than Almighty God.

6. Parent Child Relationship: Children are to honor their parents.

7. Adultery: A married couple is prohibited from engaging in sexual relations with anyone outside of their marriage.

8. Stealing: The taking of someone else’s property is prohibited.

9. False Witness: Lying about someone else is prohibited.

10. Covetousness: Coveting someone else’s house; wife; servants; or property is prohibited.

11. Fornication: Illicit sexual relations outside of the institution of marriage are prohibited. Includes - sexual relations between a man and a woman who are not married, and/or sexual relations between a married person and someone (married or unmarried) other than their own husband or wife. When a married man or woman engage in fornication they also commit adultery; by engaging in illicit sexual relations (i.e. fornication} outside of the institution of marriage they adulterate their marriage. In the Bible fornication is not limited to just unmarried couples.  

12. Sodomy: Sexual relations between people of the same sex are prohibited.

After The Law – Under The New Covenant of Grace
A thorough search of the Scriptures will demonstrate that the Apostle Paul reaffirmed each and every one of these Biblical precepts and principals in his Epistles; which is one of many reasons why I do not divide the Books of the Bible up into those that are exclusively for the Jews and those that are exclusively for the church. The New Covenant under the Gospel of Grace has not changed these Scriptural precepts and principles. Although we, as Christians, are not under the Law, that hasn’t changed the nature of sin nor has it altered God’s immutable precepts and principals.

Have you noticed that practically every single one of these Scriptural precepts and principles are under attack, or are in the process of being altered by our society - including the government (Legislature, Executive, Judicial, & Armed Forces), the educational system (primary, immediate, & high schools; Colleges and Universities), the professional circles (science, medicine, business, etc.), the media (radio, TV, & the Net), and most of the churches (regardless of denomination)?

Numbers 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

1 Samuel 15:29 And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent.

Jeremiah 4:28 For this shall the earth mourn, and the heavens above be black: because I have spoken it, I have purposed it, and will not repent, neither will I turn back from it.

Ezekiel 24:14 I the LORD have spoken it: it shall come to pass, and I will do it; I will not go back, neither will I spare, neither will I repent; according to thy ways, and according to thy doings, shall they judge thee, saith the Lord GOD.

Malachi 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Romans 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

. . . . . yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written . . . . . Romans 3:4
George

Postby George » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:50 pm

Aloha all,

The following verses fully illustrate the Apostle Paul “rightly dividing the word of truth” and making a New Testament application to a term found only in the Old Testament.

The word “atonement” is found 81 times in 70 verses in the Holy Bible. The word “atonements” is found only once [Exodus 30:10], while the words atone, atoned, atoning cannot be found at all. A search of the word “atonement” in the Scriptures reveals that 69 out of the 70 verses listed are found in the Old Testament, while only one verse in the entire New Testament contains the word [Roman 5:11].

Exodus 29:33,36-37; 30:10,15-16; 32:30; Leviticus 1:4; 4:20,26,31,35; 5:6,10,13,16,18; 6:7; 7:7; 8:34; 9:7; 10:17; 12:7-8; 14:18-21,29,31,53; 15:15,30; 16:6,10-11,16-18,24,27,30,32-34; 17:11; 19:22; 23:27-28; 25:9; Numbers 5:8; 6:11; 8:12,19,21; 15:25,28; 16:46-47; 25:13; 28:22,30; 29:5,11; 31:50; 2Samuel 21:3; 1Chronicles 6:49; 2Chronicles 29:24; Nehemiah 10:33 - Romans 5:11

This is one of the best examples of “rightly dividing the word of truth” that I have discovered. Here we have a total of 69 verses of Scripture, which are either in relation to the nation Israel or to individual Jews (i.e. Hebrews/Israelites), but to which the Apostle Paul makes an application to New Testament saints (i.e. those who have been saved “through our Lord Jesus Christ”).  

Romans 5:11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

Along with the previous examples, this is another example of why I do not divide the Holy word of God (i.e. The King James Bible) up into Books - i.e. Books which are supposedly written specifically (or exclusively) for Israel or to the Jews, and having no application to the church of God or to Christians; or Books supposedly written specifically (or exclusively) for the tribulation saints, and having no application to the church of God or to Christians.

It is far more difficult to rightly divide all of God’s words, as they are found in the entire King James Bible, than it is to simply divide the Books of the Bible up into Books meant only for the Jews, or Books meant only for the Tribulation Saints, or Books meant only for the church of God or for Christians.

From the example given above, it is obvious that the Apostle Paul, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, took an Old Testament precept (or principle) and made a New Testament application to the church of God (i.e. saved saints). This doesn't mean that we are free to "Harmonize" the Holy words of God and make them mean what we want them to mean wherever we choose, it means that we must be prudent, careful, and circumspect in our study of the Bible and always seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit in "rightly dividing the word of truth".  

Hebrews 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

George

Postby Chette » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:31 am

so far what we are learning then is that God's examples of rightly dividing the word of truth is not the same as mans.

The Atonement here is applied to the believer by grace through faith.  the division is in that the OT it was blood atonement by animal sacrifice of which Hebrews tells us could make nothing perfect and

Heb 9:14, 15 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
  And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Here we see though those sacrifices appeased for the moment it was Christ New Testament in his blood that secured the redemption of those under the law, the Jews.

And today the atonement that made the law finally perfect in Christ is applied to anyone by grace through faith.

Thanks George great example.
Last edited by Chette on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chette

Postby George » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:23 am

Aloha Brother Chette,

Right on brother! I agree wholeheartedly.

Try this for an exercise in rightly dividing: Do a search (in the Holy Bible) of the word “atonement” and then the phrases “an atonement” and “the atonement”.

The word “atonement” is found 81 times in 70 verses in the Bible.

Out of the 70 verses with the word atonement in them the phrase (or term) “an atonement” is found 65 times in 59 verses in the Bible. {Nearly 85% of the total}

The breakdown is as follows:

“made an atonement”   =     5 times in   5 verses (one verse with “make an atonement” in it)

“make an atonement”  =    58 times in 54 verses

“maketh an atonement” =    1 time in    1 verse (a verse with “make an atonement” in it)

“whereby an atonement” = 1 time in   1 verse

Totals = 65 times    61 – minus 2 verses that overlap - 59 verses

The phrase “the atonement” is found only 6 times in 6 verses in the entire Bible (8.5%) - the last one of which is found in Romans 5:11. WHY is that?

Romans 5:11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

Let’s examine all six verses with the phrase “the atonement” in them to see what they have to say:

Exodus 29:33 And they shall eat those things wherewith the atonement was made, to consecrate and to sanctify them: but a stranger shall not eat thereof, because they are holy.
{In the context the phrase “the atonement” is specifically in reference to an atonement, which was made for Aaron and his sons concerning the consecration of the Priesthood – not in reference to “THE ATONEMENT”.}

Exodus 30:16 And thou shalt take the atonement money of the children of Israel, and shalt appoint it for the service of the tabernacle of the congregation; that it may be a memorial unto the children of Israel before the LORD, to make an atonement for your souls.
{In the context the phrase “the atonement” is in reference to the atonement money, which was appointed for the service of the tabernacle – not in reference to “THE ATONEMENT”.}

Leviticus 16:32 And the priest, whom he shall anoint, and whom he shall consecrate to minister in the priest's office in his father's stead, shall make the atonement, and shall put on the linen clothes, even the holy garments:
{In the context the phrase “the atonement” is specifically in reference to an atonement, which was made concerning an atonement for the holy sanctuary, and an atonement for the tabernacle of the congregation, and an atonement for the altar, and an atonement for the priests, and an atonement for all the people of the congregation [Leviticus 16:33] – clearly not in reference to “THE ATONEMENT”.}

Numbers 5:8 But if the man have no kinsman to recompense the trespass unto, let the trespass be recompensed unto the LORD, even to the priest; beside the ram of the atonement, whereby an atonement shall be made for him.
{In the context the phrase “the atonement” is specifically in reference to an atonement, which was made on behalf of an individual Israelite who sinned (i.e. trespassed) and who was required to make an atonement for his sin – not in reference to “THE ATONEMENT”.}

2 Samuel 21:3 Wherefore David said unto the Gibeonites, What shall I do for you? and wherewith shall I make the atonement, that ye may bless the inheritance of the LORD?
{In the context the phrase “the atonement” is specifically in reference to an atonement, which was made on behalf of the nation of Israel because of the sins of King Saul in his murderous conduct towards the Gibeonites – again, not in reference to “THE ATONEMENT”.}

Notice: In the context, not one of the five verses with the phrase “the atonement” in them in the Old Testament was in reference to “THE ATONEMENT”, which was accomplished by our Lord and Saviour (the Lord Jesus Christ) on the cross of Calvary – in which His precious blood made “the atonement” for the sins of all who believe in Him.

No wonder this is the only verse in the New Testament with the word atonement in it, it says it all, there’s nothing more to be said!

Romans 16:27 To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.

George

Next

Return to Bible Studies