The Inspiration Of Scripture

Thoughts and Suggestions for articles to be included in the Symposium topics. Suggestions for the depository side of the site also.

The Inspiration Of Scripture

Postby George » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:37 am

Inspiration of Scriptures
By Moses LemuelRaj
Secunderabad, India

“Allscripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable fordoctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction inrighteousness:” (2Timothy 3:16).

“Knowingthis first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any privateinterpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will ofman: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.” (2Peter 1:20-21).

“The Spirit of the LORD spake by me, and his word was in my tongue.” (2Samuel 23:2).

Manypeople have many "theories" of inspiration of the Scriptures, but letme make this clear to the readers that MY understanding of the subjectis gathered from the AV text, and believing that the AV textconstitutes Holy Scriptures in the English language, and is MY finalauthority of appeal in this matter.

Scripture(s)

Iwould like to first deal with the term "Scripture(s)" before we goabout understanding the term "inspiration." At the first instance, wesee the term "Scripture" revealed to us as "Scripture of TRUTH." Theangel said, "I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture oftruth" (Daniel 10:21). Scripture is the WRITTENword of God. The reader should first note this point, and keep this inmind throughout. Scribe, scribble, script, Scripture, etc. Scripture isWRITTEN. We read, "itis NOTED in the scripture of truth." In addition, the following thingsmust be observed in relation to the term "Scripture."

1. Scripture can be READ. The Lord Jesus said to Jews, "Did ye never read in the scriptures" (Matthew 21:42). So we understand that the Jews HAD Scriptures with them, and they were supposed to READ them.

2. Lord Jesus told the Jews to "search the SCRIPTURES" (John 5:39). If they had not the Scriptures, why will He tell them to search them?

3. Each of the two COPIES of the book of Isaiah mentioned in the Bible were called "SCRIPTURE" (see Luke 4: 17, 21; Acts 8:30, 32, 35). One copy was in Nazareth and the Lord Jesus READ it, and called it SCRIPTURE. Another COPY was with the Ethiopian eunuch, and he READ it, and Luke calls it SCRIPTURE in his narration.

4. Bereans HAD Scriptures and they "searched the SCRIPTURES daily" (Acts 17:11).

5."For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for ourlearning, that we through patience and comfort of the SCRIPTURES mighthave hope" (Romans 15:4). Unless one HAD the Scriptures, and READ them, how can we have HOPE?

6. Timothy HAD Scriptures, and "from a child ... hast KNOWN the holy scriptures" (2 Tim 3:15).

7. Scripture "SAITH" (present tense, Romans 10:11), Scripture “FORESEES” (Galatians 3:8), Scripture “CONCLUDES” (Galatians 3:22), Scripture is “HOLY” (Romans 1:2), Scripture is “TRUTH” (Daniel 10:21).

In other words, "Scriptures" were SEEN, HANDLED, READ and HEARDby the Jews, the Lord Jesus, the Bereans, Timothy, Ethiopian eunuch,etc. It is about THESE scriptures we are told, "All scripture is givenby inspiration of God." We read, "ALL scripture"- whether the Scripture read by the Lord, or Jews or Timothy - "ALLScripture," "is given by INSPIRATION OF GOD"! That is the PLAINteaching of the Authorized Version ABOUT the Scriptures. And thatScripture SAITH, FORSEES, CONCLUDES, is FULFILLED, and is HOLY, and isTRUTH! That is how the term "Scripture" is used in the AV. The term"Scripture(s)" in the AV is NEVER used in reference to any “ORIGINALAUTOGRAPHS”, though the original autographs themselves are obviously"Scripture."

If you read 2 Timothy 3:15-16, we are told inv.15 that Timothy had "holy scriptures;" and then immediately in v.16we are also told, "ALL scripture" (including the "holy scriptures" thatTimothy had) "is given by inspiration of God."

Inspiration

Having now understood the term "Scriptures" in the Bible let us now move on to learn what does INSPIRATIONmean in the Bible (AV). When we say "inspiration of the SCRIPTURE," weare NOT talking about the inspiration of ORIGINAL AUTOGRAPHS, but the inspiration of the COPIES that Jesus, Timothy, Ethiopian eunuch, Jews, Paul, et al have SEEN, HANDLED, and READ! We are talking about the "inspiration" of something that is WRITTEN, not SPOKEN. We are talking about the "inspiration" of something by which we can have HOPE, something we are commanded to SEARCH.

Now let me tell you what the term INSPIRATION means -- "The Spirit of God hath made me, and the BREATH of the Almighty hath GIVEN ME LIFE." (Job 33:4). We also read, "But there is a spirit in man: and the INSPIRATION of the Almighty giveth them understanding." (Job 32:8).See how the word INSPIRATION is connected to the spirit of a man, whichwas created in him by BREATHING INTO him the breath of life. INSPIREmeans "breath INTO." That is how man was created. "And the LORD Godformed man of the dust of the ground, and BREATHED INTO his nostrilsthe breath of life; and man became a LIVING SOUL" (Genesis 2:7).When God BREATHED INTO Adam's nostrils the BREATH of life, he became aLIVING soul. Before that, Adam was just a bunch of DUST! There was noLIFE in him before God breathed INTO him the breath of life. When a mandies, we say that he is EXPIRED. There will NOT be any BREATH in a DEADman. EXPIRATION is the spirit/breath going OUT of a man leaving himDEAD, but INSPIRATION is the spirit/breath coming INTO a man making himALIVE (see Ezekiel 37)!

Seeingthat the term INSPIRATION in connection with man refers to Godbreathing the breath of life INTO that man, and thereby making himALIVE, so we understand that INSPIRATION of the Scriptures as Godbreathing His BREATH of life INTO the (WRITTEN) SCRIPTURES, and therebymaking them ALIVE! That is what inspiration of the Scriptures means.When the Bible says "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God," weunderstand that the Scriptures were given by the PROCESS ofinspiration, wherein God has breathed INTO them His spirit and thusmade them alive. Thus inspired Scriptures constitute LIVING WORDS of God. And those living words we are referring to are WRITTEN words, for that is what "Scripture" is - WRITTEN stuff!

So,2 Timothy 3:16 is NOT talking about God breathing OUT the Scriptures,as is commonly assumed. God never breathed out any WRITTEN stuff, butHe breathed out His SPOKEN words. Of course, He WROTE with His fingerTWICE the Ten Commandments, but they were kept in the ark, and were NOTfor the use of people to read. 2 Timothy 3:16 is NOT about Godbreathing OUT the SPOKEN words from His mouth, or God breathing OUT Hisspoken words thru the mouths of His prophets (as in, 2 Samuel 23:2 - "the Spirit of the LORD SPAKE by me"). 2 Timothy 3:16 talks about God breathing into WRITTEN SCRIPTURES to make them ALIVE.

We see in Genesis that when God breathed-INTOAdam, He did that AFTER forming him fully with the dust. Similarly, inEzekiel 37, the "breath of life" entered the army AFTER they had gottheir sinews, flesh and skin. But they did not have life in them, untilthe breath came INTOthem. What I believe about the King James Bible is this: The AV is"Scripture". And if it is "Scripture" then it is given by inspirationof God. That means, the AV has in its WORDS the breath of God, andthose words therefore have LIFE.I do NOT believe that God was breathing-OUT when the AV translatorspenned the words of the Bible on paper. Neither do I believe that theSpirit of God SPAKE by the AV translators when they WROTE.

What I believe is that God breathed INTOthis Book, and thereby made it alive. You either call it a LIVING book,or a DEAD book. I believe it is LIVING book, and contains the breath ofGod, because it is Scripture, which is INSPIRED (breathed-INTO)by God! You have to either call the AV Scripture, and therefore call itINSPIRED, or deny its INSPIRATION and then deny it is "Scripture."

Breathing-OUT of the word of God

“The Spirit of the LORD SPAKE by me, and his WORD was in my TONGUE.” (2Samuel 23:2).

All that was ever SPOKENby God, and all that was ever spoken by His prophets when God made themto SPEAK by His Spirit, is the word of God. But NOT ALL the words ofGod that God or His prophets UTTERED were written.Many of them were written, but NOT ALL. Similarly, not ALL writtenScriptures were necessarily SPOKEN before. Some were written DIRECTLY,WITHOUT EVER BEING SPOKEN! 2 Peter 1:20-21talks about how God MOVED the prophets, and as a result how theprophets SPOKE! "Holy men of God SPAKE as they were MOVED by the HolyGhost." It does NOT say "Holy men of God WROTE as they were INSPIRED bythe Holy Ghost." 2 Peter istalking about the ORIGINATION of the prophecies of the Scripture. Thoseprophecies were UTTERED, SPOKEN, by the men of God, when God MOVEDthem. The Spirit of God MOVED Samson (Judges 13:25),and he did mighty works for God. Similarly when He MOVED the prophets,they SPOKE. Many of those SPOKEN words were later WRITTEN. And suchWRITTEN words of God are called SCRIPTURE. 2Timothy talks about theScriptures given to us by the inspiration of God - a process whereinGod has made them ALIVE by breathing into those WRITTEN words His Spirit!

In conclusion, there are TWO things we need to summarize:

1)The ORIGINATION of the word of God was when God MOVED His prophets toSPEAK His word, or ORACLES: Many of those oracles are preserved for usin WRITING. They were God's breathed-OUT words. But when the devilSPOKE, "Ye shall not surely die," that was a LIE! Those words were NOTbreathed-OUT of God either directly, or thru His prophets. Yet, thatphrase is a part of INSPIRED SCRIPTURE. 2 Peter talks about the SPOKEN ORACLES, not SCRIPTURES. The breathing-OUT (see 2 Samuel 23:2)happened the FIRST time when those words were SPOKEN. Unfortunately,many people who misunderstand the term INSPIRATION, apply that word tothe ORIGINAL GIVING of the Scriptures as breathed-OUT. The "scripture"referred to in 2 Tim 3:16, is connected to the "holy scriptures" found in verse 15, which Timothy HAD with him. 2 Tim 3:16 has NO REFERENCE to the original autographs, but the "scriptures" in general, INCLUDING the original autographs.

2) The WRITTEN word of God is INSPIRED, that is, FILLED with the BREATH of God, and has LIFE. Scripture has life because God breathed INTOits words. "All Scripture is given by INSPIRATION of God. Now coming tothe words "Ye shall not surely die," we have to assert here that it isSCRIPTURE. It is a part of the collected writings of God's prophets,which God intended that they should be written in a BOOK (Isaiah. 30:8),and preserved for His saints. Those WRITINGS are called SCRIPTURE, andthe SCRIPTURE has life in it because it is INSPIRED by God. So, thewords "Ye shall not surely die," are INSPIRED SCRIPTURE where theyoccur, and within the context they occur. They are therefore PROFITABLEfor doctrine, reproof, correction and instruction in righteousness.

Thosewho disagree with my position on the inspiration of the KJV do sobecause of their misunderstanding of the term INSPIRATION. They thinkthat I teach God breathed-OUT the words of the AV thru the translators,when I teach nothing of the kind. Of course, I do believe that the handof God was helping them in picking the correct texts and translatingthose texts faithfully. When I say KJV is inspired Scripture, what Imean is that God has made it ALIVE by BREATHING His breath INTOit. So what is WRITTEN in the Book (AV) are the LIVING words of God.Those are HOLY, and those words have TRUTH in them. There is noFALSEHOOD in the words of the AV. These Scriptures are INERRANT. Thatis, there are no NUMERICAL, DOCTRINAL, SCIENTIFIC or HISTORICAL errorsin the King James text. You cannot have LIVING words and have themteach you ERRONEOUS things.

Here are my questions to those who oppose my position on the King James Bible.

1. If AV is not an inspired Bible, then is there ANY other Bible you can show us as INSPIRED SCRIPTURES?

2.There are more than 200 English Bibles. There are at least 5 differentHebrew OT versions. There are about 25 different Greek New Testaments.Over that you have Bibles in other languages, some of them having 2-3versions. In all these, is there ANY ONE SINGLE Book that you can callINSPIRED SCRIPTURES that you trust ENTIRELY?

3.If your Bible (that is the book study and preach from) is NOT inspired,then will you confess before the congregation that the Book from whichI preach and teach is NOT an inspired book?

4.If your Bible is NOT inspired, then has it EXPIRED? Do you have LIVINGwords of God, or DEAD words in your Bible? Can you confirm?
George Anderson    http://www.thywordistruthkjv.com/

. . . . . yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written . . . . . Romans 3:4
George

Re: The Inspiration Of Scripture

Postby Mongol Servant » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:47 am

Like Bro Tim said, and I agree, regarding Bro Gipp's comment "If the King James Bible isn't inspired, it'll do 'til one comes along!"  Amen.

Bro Herb Noe (graduated to heaven) who pastored the Galilean Baptist Church in Livonia, Michigan, said (and I completely agree) that I think the chapter and verse divisions are inspired!

How do ya like me now! Image
[url=%3Ca]"If God and His Word are not known and received, the devil and his works will gain the ascendancy,  If the power of the Gospel is not felt throughout the length and breadth of the land, anarchy and misrule, degradation and misery, corruption and darkness will reign without mitigation or end."[/url]  Daniel Webster
Mongol Servant

Return to Symposium & Depository