Water Cooler Lettuce, Herbs and fish

As more often than not, modern medicines and pharmaceuticals can ravage and damage the body more than help and heal it so there are many natural alternatives that will serve the same purpose without some of the horrible side effects, this little section is for the discussion of general health and well being from a born again perspective. 3 John 1:2

Water Cooler Lettuce, Herbs and fish

Postby Chette » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Ever have one of those in the window water coolers to col your home.  from spring to fall (unless you live in sub tropic and tropic areas then year round) you can use one to grow Lettuce, herbs and raise some Tilapia, Trout or Catfish.

just replace the bottom of the reservour with a 2 to 3 ft deep metal tank to raise your fish in support it with a wooden frame, make a 1 ft deep float tank on the top and use styrofoam to hod some cups for hydroponic growing of lettuce and herbs.  Recirculate the water via a pump use the filters as a bio filter.  you will need to rinse the filters once a week.  place in a shaded window and enjoy clean cool air and grow some veggies and fish at the same time.

just check your pH and keep it around 6.0-7.0 if you do your Nitrates will stay low and the Nitrite and ammonia stay very low.  takes two months to get the bacteria activated.  best to jump start it with some water and bacteria from an already operating Aquaponic system.

have fun and eat well.
Psalm 49:3 My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart [shall be] of understanding.

www.chettesblog.wordpress.com
Chette

Re: Water Cooler Lettuce, Herbs and fish

Postby escapedthenight » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:28 pm

I had a fan driven water cooler years ago,  but never heard of raising fish or growing veggies with one. I'd have to see what your'e talking about to grasp the concept. I heard once that hippies used hot springs water piped throughout the house to heat it and plumb water.
" Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." Eph.6:13
escapedthenight

Re: Water Cooler Lettuce, Herbs and fish

Postby Chette » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:31 am

Normally they have a drum fan that sucks air through water soaked filters and blows it into your home.

modified it can be used to raise fish, prawns, crayfish, In the Bottom.  And grow veggies and herbs on top portion.

It is one of the many ways to do Aquaponics.  we don't have any of the drum type here in but the forward facing fan type can be modified as well.

you could come up with literally 100's of designs for this type of fish/veggie farming.  you can even make you own filter for them recycling old mylar snack food bags shread them put them in a netting sewn to the right size and put in place they last longer than the organic straw type.

cool air, fresh veggies and fish.  What a novel Idea!
Psalm 49:3 My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart [shall be] of understanding.

www.chettesblog.wordpress.com
Chette

Return to Health & Wellbeing