The least esteemed in the church

1 Corinthians 3:1
Have you recently been saved?
If so then there may be many many questions in your mind in regards to living a Christ centred life, how do you do it, how should you read your Bible, what is sound doctrine? This section of the site if for anyone who may have recently, by the Grace of God, been born again or indeed anyone that desires the sincere milk of the word. Ask questions in this section no matter how trivial or silly you may think they are, we must all grow in Grace 2 Peter 3:18

The least esteemed in the church

Postby James » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:29 pm

1 Corinthians 6:4 If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.

I am doing a study on the book of first corinthians and I thought this was a particularly interesting verse. You are supposed to set up those who are the least esteemed in the church to judge matters between brethren. Because of the requirements for church offices it seems this would disqualify bishops, deacons and elders. I have never been to a church practicing this.
Malachi 3:6  For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
James

Re: The least esteemed in the church

Postby George » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:29 pm

Aloha Brother James,

Your observation concerning this matter is astute. I have been a Christian for over 53 years (next month will make 54 years) and have attended well over a dozen churches during my lifetime, and I have never seen this verse put into practice in any of the churches I have attended. The context of the verse is as follows:

1 Corinthians 6:1 ¶ Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?
2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?
4 If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.
5 I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren?
6 But brother goeth to law with brother, and that before the unbelievers.
7 Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another. Why do ye not rather take wrong? why do ye not rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded?
8 Nay, ye do wrong, and defraud, and that your brethren.

These verses are not talking about determining sound Doctrine, they are talking about settling disputes between brethren; and the Scriptural way of dealing with these matters is to have "THEM" (i.e. more than just one man) - "who are least esteemed" in a congregation judge such matters. You are correct in stating that the church leadership (bishops, elders, "pastors") should not be involved in such matters.

Since, according to the Holy Bible,  deacons have no scriptural authority over the brethren, they might be eligible to participate in judging between brethren in these kind of matters - but only if they are truly scriptural deacons who have not exercised any authority in a church.

Psalms 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.  
George Anderson    http://www.thywordistruthkjv.com/

. . . . . yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written . . . . . Romans 3:4
George

Postby James » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:52 pm

Hello brother George,

Thank you for your reply to my post. It is always very interesting to hear what you have to say and often times you teach me something. Thank you for clarifying the deacons part in it. I have never been to a church where deacons did not exercise authority in the church. It's kind of sad in a way I have been searching for a church for quite some time. It is very difficult to find a good one.
Malachi 3:6  For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
James

Postby Sarge » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:32 pm

This is a helpful post. I've also been wondering who the "least esteemed in the church" are. Thanks Bro. James and Bro. George!
For the love of Christ
(2 Cor. 5:14,15)

From the New Testament Baptist Pulpit
Sarge

Return to Babes In Christ