Isaiah 10:27 "because of the ANOINTING"or "because of the F

Discussion and Information regarding the "Which Bible" issue. Blatant anti KJB posts will be deleted without apology. Psalms 12:6-7

Isaiah 10:27 "because of the ANOINTING"or "because of the F

Postby brandplucked » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:06 am

Isaiah 10:27 "because of the ANOINTING"or "because of the FAT"?

One of the stupidest readings I've found so far in the NIV, NASB, ESV, NET is in Isaiah 10:27.

In Isaiah 10:24-27 God is telling Israel that though He will send the Assyrian against them to judge them, "yet a very little while, and the indignation shall cease, and mine anger in their destruction." Then God will stir up a scourge for him (the Assyrian), "And it shall come to pass in that day, that his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of THE ANOINTING."

"Because of the ANOINTING" is the reading of the Bishops' Bible 1568 - "yoke shalbe destroyed because of the vnction.", the Geneva Bible 1587 - "and the yoke shalbe destroied because of the anoynting.", Webster's 1833 translation, Darby, the New Berkeley Version in Modern English 1969, the NKJV 1982, the KJV 21st Century 1994 and the Third Millenium Bible 1998.

Among foreign language bibles that also correctly read "because of the ANOINTING". are the Spanish Sagradas Escrituras 1569, the Reina Valera 1909, 1960, 1995, and the Reina Valera Gómez of 2010 - "y el yugo será destruido por causa de la unción.", the Portuguese A Biblia Sagrada em Portugués and the Almeida Corrigida E Fiel - "e o jugo será despedaçado por causa da unção.", the French Martin 1744 - "et le joug sera rompu à cause de l'onction.", the Italian Diodati 1649 and the Nuova Diodati of 1991 - "e il giogo sarà rotto per cagion dell’unzione." and the Modern Greek Bible - "και ο ζυγος θελει συντριφθη εξ αιτιας του χρισματος." = "and the yoke will be broken because of the anointing".

Here is what several Bible commentators have said about "the anointing"

John Wesley: Isaiah 10:27 The anointing - Possibly this may be understood of David, who is often mentioned in scripture by the name of God's anointed; and for whose sake, God gave many deliverances to the succeeding kings and ages, as is expressly affirmed, I Kings 11:32. God declares that he would give this very deliverance from the Assyrian, for David's sake.  But the Messiah is principally intended, of whom David was but a type; and who was in a particular manner anointed above his fellows, as is said, Psalms 45:7. For he is the foundation of all the promises and of all the deliverances and mercies granted to God's people in all ages.

I Kings 11:32 - But he shall have one tribe for my servant David's sake, and for Jerusalem's sake, the city which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel

II Kings 19:34 -For I will defend this city, to save it, for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake.

Psalm 45:7 -Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

Matthew Henry - because of the anointing, for their sakes who were partakers of the anointing. For David's sake. This is particularly given as the reason why God would defend Jerusalem from Sennacherib Isaiah 37:35 "For I will defend this city to save it for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake"; For the sake of the Messiah, the Anointed of God, whom God had an eye to in all the deliverances of the Old-Testament church, and hath still an eye to in all the favours he shows to his people. It is for his sake that the yoke is broken, and that we are made free indeed.

Jamison, Fausset and Brown: - the anointing--namely, "Messiah" (Daniel 9:24). Just as in Isa 9:4-6, the "breaking of the yoke of" the enemies' "burden and staff" is attributed to Messiah, "For unto us a child is born," &c., so it is here. MAURER not so well translates, "Because of the fatness".

John Calvin comments - "The phrase, the face of the anointing, is explained by some to mean the fatness with which the yoke is besmeared. But that interpretation is too farfetched. Others more correctly view Nms (shamen) as bearing its ordinary signification, and as denoting anointing or oil. He again reminds them of Christ, and shows that through his kindness they will be delivered from that tyranny. Anointing is the name given to that kingdom which the Lord had set apart for himself, and which he therefore wished to keep unspotted and undiminished. When the Prophets intend to applaud the majesty of that kingdom, they speak of the anointing which the Lord had bestowed on it as a distinguishing mark, because it was a type of Christ." (Psalm 45:7, 89:20; Isaiah 61:1; Daniel 9:24.)... He shows that this will arise from the heavenly anointing of that kingdom, that all may perceive that this benefit depends on the power of Christ, and not on the ability of man or on chance."

The Geneva Bible study notes - " because of (x) the anointing.  (x) Because of the promise made to that kingdom, by which Christ’s kingdom was prefigured."

David Guzik's Commentary mentions: "the anointing oil should really be seen as because of the anointed one, the Messiah, Jesus Christ. He is the source of our victory and freedom from the yoke of bondage!"

Coffman's Commentary - "meaning the anointing oil. "Just as in Isa. 9:4-6 the breaking of the yoke of the enemies is attributed to Messiah, so it is here." Dummelow also honored this understanding of the place thus: "Because of the anointing, i.e., because of the anointed king of David's house, to which God has promised a lasting kingdom."

John Gill comments: "the Targum much better refers it to the Messiah, "the people shall be broken from before the Messiah'' who was anointed with the oil of gladness above his fellows, and for whose sake, and by whom, the yoke of sin, Satan, and the law, has been destroyed."

But let us now look at what the NASB, NIV, ESV, NET and other modern versions have come up with.

The NASB and Holman Standard say: "and the yoke will be broken because of FATNESS" and the  NIV has: "the yoke will be broken BECAUSE YOU HAVE GROWN SO FAT."  The ESV has: "and the yoke will be broken because of THE FAT."!!!

Dan Wallace's NET version actually says: "the yoke will be taken off BECAUSE YOUR NECK WILL BE TOO LARGE."!!!  Then he footnotes - "The meaning of this line is uncertain."  Well, it certainly is NOW!

The liberal RSV of 1952  and the NRSV of 1989 have both completely omitted the Hebrew phrase and added a bunch of made up words instead. The RSV, NRSV both  say: "and his yoke will be destroyed from your neck. HE HAS GONE UP FROM RIMMON." Then they footnote that the have "emended" the text but that the Hebrew reads "and the yoke will be destroyed because of fatness."

Young's 'literal' (hah!) has missed the mark with its: "And destroyed hath been the yoke, BECAUSE OF PROSPERITY."

The 2012 Knox Bible has the ridiculous reading of: "the yoke will fall from thy neck, yoke that has gone rotten for want of oil."

The so called Greek Septuagint is of no help here. It omits the phrase altogether merely saying: "the yoke shall be destroyed from off your shoulders." completely omitting any reference to the anointing.

The Catholic versions present the usual chaos and nonsensical readings. The Douay-Rheims says: "and the yoke shall putrefy at the presence of the oil." Then the 1970 St. Joseph NAB adds words NOT from the Hebrew just like the RSV and NRSV. It says: "and his yoke shattered from your neck. HE HAS COME UP FROM THE DIRECTION OF RIMMON." (Yeah, that's pretty close, huh?) Then the 1985 New Jerusalem puts a series of dots at the end of the verse and tells us "the words are not clear.", but at least it got rid of all that Rimmon stuff. It now reads: "and the yoke will be destroyed..... (footnote - the last words of the verse are not clear.")  The 2009 Catholic Public Domain Version has now gone back to a previous Catholic reading and has:  "and the yoke will decay at the appearance of the oil."

The King James Bible is right, as always. Friends don't let friends use perverted bibles.

One of the stupidest readings I've found so far in the NIV, NASB, ESV, NET is in Isaiah 10:27.

In Isaiah 10:24-27 God is telling Israel that though He will send the Assyrian against them to judge them, "yet a very little while, and the indignation shall cease, and mine anger in their destruction." Then God will stir up a scourge for him (the Assyrian), "And it shall come to pass in that day, that his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of THE ANOINTING."

"Because of the ANOINTING" is the reading of the Bishops' Bible 1568 - "yoke shalbe destroyed because of the vnction.", the Geneva Bible 1587 - "and the yoke shalbe destroied because of the anoynting.", Webster's 1833 translation, Darby, the New Berkeley Version in Modern English 1969, the NKJV 1982, the KJV 21st Century 1994 and the Third Millenium Bible 1998.

Among foreign language bibles that also correctly read "because of the ANOINTING". are the Spanish Sagradas Escrituras 1569, the Reina Valera 1909, 1960, 1995, and the Reina Valera Gómez of 2010 - "y el yugo será destruido por causa de la unción.", the Portuguese A Biblia Sagrada em Portugués and the Almeida Corrigida E Fiel - "e o jugo será despedaçado por causa da unção.", the French Martin 1744 - "et le joug sera rompu à cause de l'onction.", the Italian Diodati 1649 and the Nuova Diodati of 1991 - "e il giogo sarà rotto per cagion dell’unzione." and the Modern Greek Bible - "και ο ζυγος θελει συντριφθη εξ αιτιας του χρισματος." = "and the yoke will be broken because of the anointing".

Here is what several Bible commentators have said about "the anointing"

John Wesley: Isaiah 10:27 The anointing - Possibly this may be understood of David, who is often mentioned in scripture by the name of God's anointed; and for whose sake, God gave many deliverances to the succeeding kings and ages, as is expressly affirmed, I Kings 11:32. God declares that he would give this very deliverance from the Assyrian, for David's sake.  But the Messiah is principally intended, of whom David was but a type; and who was in a particular manner anointed above his fellows, as is said, Psalms 45:7. For he is the foundation of all the promises and of all the deliverances and mercies granted to God's people in all ages.

I Kings 11:32 - But he shall have one tribe for my servant David's sake, and for Jerusalem's sake, the city which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel

II Kings 19:34 -For I will defend this city, to save it, for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake.

Psalm 45:7 -Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

Matthew Henry - because of the anointing, for their sakes who were partakers of the anointing. For David's sake. This is particularly given as the reason why God would defend Jerusalem from Sennacherib Isaiah 37:35 "For I will defend this city to save it for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake"; For the sake of the Messiah, the Anointed of God, whom God had an eye to in all the deliverances of the Old-Testament church, and hath still an eye to in all the favours he shows to his people. It is for his sake that the yoke is broken, and that we are made free indeed.

Jamison, Fausset and Brown: - the anointing--namely, "Messiah" (Daniel 9:24). Just as in Isa 9:4-6, the "breaking of the yoke of" the enemies' "burden and staff" is attributed to Messiah, "For unto us a child is born," &c., so it is here. MAURER not so well translates, "Because of the fatness".

John Calvin comments - "The phrase, the face of the anointing, is explained by some to mean the fatness with which the yoke is besmeared. But that interpretation is too farfetched. Others more correctly view Nms (shamen) as bearing its ordinary signification, and as denoting anointing or oil. He again reminds them of Christ, and shows that through his kindness they will be delivered from that tyranny. Anointing is the name given to that kingdom which the Lord had set apart for himself, and which he therefore wished to keep unspotted and undiminished. When the Prophets intend to applaud the majesty of that kingdom, they speak of the anointing which the Lord had bestowed on it as a distinguishing mark, because it was a type of Christ." (Psalm 45:7, 89:20; Isaiah 61:1; Daniel 9:24.)... He shows that this will arise from the heavenly anointing of that kingdom, that all may perceive that this benefit depends on the power of Christ, and not on the ability of man or on chance."

The Geneva Bible study notes - " because of (x) the anointing.  (x) Because of the promise made to that kingdom, by which Christ’s kingdom was prefigured."

David Guzik's Commentary mentions: "the anointing oil should really be seen as because of the anointed one, the Messiah, Jesus Christ. He is the source of our victory and freedom from the yoke of bondage!"

Coffman's Commentary - "meaning the anointing oil. "Just as in Isa. 9:4-6 the breaking of the yoke of the enemies is attributed to Messiah, so it is here." Dummelow also honored this understanding of the place thus: "Because of the anointing, i.e., because of the anointed king of David's house, to which God has promised a lasting kingdom."

John Gill comments: "the Targum much better refers it to the Messiah, "the people shall be broken from before the Messiah'' who was anointed with the oil of gladness above his fellows, and for whose sake, and by whom, the yoke of sin, Satan, and the law, has been destroyed."

But let us now look at what the NASB, NIV, ESV, NET and other modern versions have come up with.

The NASB and Holman Standard say: "and the yoke will be broken because of FATNESS" and the  NIV has: "the yoke will be broken BECAUSE YOU HAVE GROWN SO FAT."  The ESV has: "and the yoke will be broken because of THE FAT."!!!

Dan Wallace's NET version actually says: "the yoke will be taken off BECAUSE YOUR NECK WILL BE TOO LARGE."!!!  Then he footnotes - "The meaning of this line is uncertain."  Well, it certainly is NOW!

The liberal RSV of 1952  and the NRSV of 1989 have both completely omitted the Hebrew phrase and added a bunch of made up words instead. The RSV, NRSV both  say: "and his yoke will be destroyed from your neck. HE HAS GONE UP FROM RIMMON." Then they footnote that the have "emended" the text but that the Hebrew reads "and the yoke will be destroyed because of fatness."

Young's 'literal' (hah!) has missed the mark with its: "And destroyed hath been the yoke, BECAUSE OF PROSPERITY."

The 2012 Knox Bible has the ridiculous reading of: "the yoke will fall from thy neck, yoke that has gone rotten for want of oil."

The so called Greek Septuagint is of no help here. It omits the phrase altogether merely saying: "the yoke shall be destroyed from off your shoulders." completely omitting any reference to the anointing.

The Catholic versions present the usual chaos and nonsensical readings. The Douay-Rheims says: "and the yoke shall putrefy at the presence of the oil." Then the 1970 St. Joseph NAB adds words NOT from the Hebrew just like the RSV and NRSV. It says: "and his yoke shattered from your neck. HE HAS COME UP FROM THE DIRECTION OF RIMMON." (Yeah, that's pretty close, huh?) Then the 1985 New Jerusalem puts a series of dots at the end of the verse and tells us "the words are not clear.", but at least it got rid of all that Rimmon stuff. It now reads: "and the yoke will be destroyed..... (footnote - the last words of the verse are not clear.")  The 2009 Catholic Public Domain Version has now gone back to a previous Catholic reading and has:  "and the yoke will decay at the appearance of the oil."

The King James Bible is right, as always. Friends don't let friends use perverted bibles.
"Is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?" Zechariah 3:2

http://brandplucked.webs.com/articles.htm
brandplucked

Re: Isaiah 10:27 "because of the ANOINTING"or "because of th

Postby Chette » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:09 pm

When a man of God says, "the words of the verse are not clear" they are saying God is to weak, and lied to us when he said he would preserve his word to every Generation Ps12:6. 7.  And then they proceed to be the authority as to what it may say or what they feel it says to the utter destruction of the verse all together.  They have more faith in themselves than God.

It is amazing to see how dumb educated men can be.  It may be an oxymoron but it fits these men well.  they are educated idiots.  

Jesus said,  Luke 18:8b I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?  Why many are claiming to live by faith, and walk in faith, and are saved by faith many treat the word of God with no faith in what God has done or what he said.

Another fine mess you have revealed Will.  keep up the good work.
Last edited by Chette on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psalm 49:3 My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart [shall be] of understanding.

www.chettesblog.wordpress.com
Chette

Re: Isaiah 10:27 "because of the ANOINTING"or "because of th

Postby brandplucked » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:06 pm

Amen!  Excellent points.  God bless
"Is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?" Zechariah 3:2

http://brandplucked.webs.com/articles.htm
brandplucked

Return to Bible Versions