Psalm 1

1 Corinthians 3:1
Have you recently been saved?
If so then there may be many many questions in your mind in regards to living a Christ centred life, how do you do it, how should you read your Bible, what is sound doctrine? This section of the site if for anyone who may have recently, by the Grace of God, been born again or indeed anyone that desires the sincere milk of the word. Ask questions in this section no matter how trivial or silly you may think they are, we must all grow in Grace 2 Peter 3:18

Psalm 1

Postby James » Thu May 16, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been reading the book of psalms on and off the last few months. I find it to be a source of great comfort to me when I am distressed. Something about psalm 1 and really the first 5 psalms has struck me as particularly profound and kind of amazing. Say you were only going to read one psalm, the very first psalm. The very first thing you would read is:

Psalms 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

This right here says a multitude of things, gives us a ton of instruction in our daily lives. At least as far as I am concerned.

1 do not take the counsel of someone or anything that is not godly.

2 do not stand in the way of sinners, do not be like sinners or have sin be a part of your life, of course we all fail in some way at this but we can do our best

3 do not be scornful.

This deals with what we listen to, what we do, and how we feel and act.

The very next thing you would read is:

Psalms 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

We heard what we should not do. Now we hear what we should be doing.

1 we should delight in the law of the Lord. I hope I'm not reading too much into that if I apply it's meaning to mean that we should delight in the Lords word.

2 we should meditate, as in think about the word of the Lord day and night, meaning all of the time. The 2 verses are telling us the man who does this is blessed.

Now if you continue reading this one psalm only, you quickly get to the rest of what it says:

Psalms 1:3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

If we follow those simple, but important instructions whatever we do will prosper.

Ps 1:4 ¶ The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.

1:5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

The ungoldy are not like the tree planted by the rivers of water, the ungodly are not like the tree that brings forth fruit, the ungodlys leaf does not have the protection from withering, nor any promise that what they do will prosper.

Psalms 1:6 For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Here we are told straight out, the way of the ungodly shall perish, sounds like the opposite of the blessed man.

I just find it very interesting, that if you were to only ever read one psalm in the bible, the very first one, that you would be given so much in so little worth of writing.
Malachi 3:6  For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
James

Return to Babes In Christ